2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Annoying squeak

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:23 AM
RAMedic14
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying squeak

K, so I have had this annoying squeak drowning out the awesome rumble of my RAM's engine. I have replaced the serpentine belt TWICE! Replaced the belt tensioner, and checked all the accessory pulleys, WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!? This squeak is really killing my vibe, my truck used the be the best sounding thing in the neighborhood.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:17 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,214 Likes on 2,965 Posts

What brand belt did you put on there?

Old 02-23-2012, 10:35 AM
i mow grass
Professional

Have you checked your water pump or fan clutch?

Old 02-24-2012, 04:35 PM
RAMedic14

Originally Posted by i mow grass
Have you checked your water pump or fan clutch?
I have checked the fan clutch, no problem there, it might be the water pump, but I can't reach it to check it. I am kinda short, so I can't "lean" into my engine compartment to get to it. I have had problems with it before, so MAYBE that is the problem. I will replace it to make sure. I will keep you updated.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:15 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spin the power steering pump also. They tend to act up after a while.....

Old 02-24-2012, 09:11 PM
slapshift318
Rookie

Is your heater/AC running when it squeeks? if it sounds like a belt is about to fly off, turn off your Heater/AC and come back. mine does that sometimes when it's cold. i turn my heater on, no noise, i turn the engine off, turn it back on with the heater going, sounds like im chewing up a small animal with the fan.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:08 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your power steering pump pulley and water pump could be out of alignment.

Do this:
1. Have someone start the truck while you look at the belt on the water pump.
2. Look to see if the belt travels forwards or back while the person in the drivers seat revs the engine slowly to about 3000 RPMs.

Sometimes the misalignment can pull the belt in front of the water pump pulley then the belt shears ribs over the other pulleys.

Happened to me. Also, my power steering pump pulley looks a wee bit warped. It does not actually wobble, but the pulley looks like it is wobbly because it is not straight.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:38 PM
Colbyjack37

I had a squeak once. Changed ball joints and boom gone. Over small bumps or anything it would squeak.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:23 PM
kd5taa
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I just changed my belt, idler pulley and tensioner pulley hoping that was all it was. The squeak was still there... I then noticed that my fan clutch had a lot of play in it so I replaced it... still there. Then I bought an automotive stethoscope and found out the squeak is coming from the water pump. Once I pulled the belt off I could feel the play in it... I should have checked it from the start.

You should pull your belt and check the pulley for play. Dont check it with the belt on as you might not notice it, and buy a stethoscope. It became really apparent once I fired it up and put the stethoscope on the water pump housing. It was the only place on the engine I could hear the squeal.

Quick Reply: Annoying squeak