2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 Ram 1500 BIG Problems!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 10:52 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by slapshift318
well, i like to keep my numbers together, Matching engine * Truck
@augie
well, CEL Came on today after i replaced the PCV, When im going uphill and really stomping the gas (To avoid the shaking) it flashs a few times, then is solid. but all my plugs are clean as a wistle.

And, the PCV has amazing suction, and the pin inside it still moves freely, so there's no new blockage/carbon buildup.
definatly a misfire...I have the same issue light comes on when accelerating under load and if I push it hard enough I can even get it to pop a few times...
At this point you need to have it scanned and it will tell you which cylinder.... and what do you mean numbers matching is this a restoration and some sort of trailer queen or a pickup truck

Old 02-27-2012, 10:52 PM
slapshift318
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What else can cause it to miss though? i changed the plugs cap, rotor, wires, the hole shabang.

Trailer queen? lol. Naw it's just how i like to do things, Every truck ive owned, i have NEVER Used a seperate motor. just repaired the old one. (ussually without some parts. haha)

Old 02-27-2012, 10:58 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

What else can cause it to miss though? i changed the plugs cap, rotor, wires, the hole shabang.

Trailer queen? lol. Naw it's just how i like to do things, Every truck ive owned, i have NEVER Used a seperate motor. just repaired the old one. (ussually without some parts. haha)
lots of things...plugged injector, weak fuel pump/plugged filter, bad gas... cracked head, burned valve, collapsed lifter bad cam lobe.... and of course the biggest thing I'd be concerned with at 200,000 miles is the higher likelyhood the damn thing is just worn out and your rings are shot and you dont have high enough compression on all cylinders... compression check would be my next step if I were you, then a leakdown test...But I think I said all that already...and sometimes a replacement motor just makes more sense than spending twice as much to repair it...as in this case if it ends up being bad compression... the truck will never be worth any collector value..not with as much use on it as it already has and they will be a dime a dozen for a long long time...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 02-27-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:01 PM
slapshift318
Rookie

Leakdown test? never heard of it, and how do i proform a compression test?

Old 02-27-2012, 11:02 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Leakdown test? never heard of it, and how do i proform a compression test?
go to youtube and search each one...you will see videos that explain everything...

Old 02-27-2012, 11:29 PM
slapshift318
Rookie

How much do the tools ussually cost? and how do i check my injectors? when i replaced the fuel pump, the reason i did it was because it ran plum out of gas, and my friend put watery gas in the tank, thus sucked it up. so i figured it killed the pump when it wouldnt start, even after draining the gas, dropping the tank, blah blah.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:10 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, since you have already unscientifically ruled out the plenum.......let us know when you come back around to it being at leat part of the problem.

I am still holding to the bet! The odds are on my side!

Old 02-28-2012, 12:24 AM
slapshift318
Rookie

haha gdstock!, it probably will be a problem later on, but for now it seems ok, its still nice and clean inside! :P im heading to Orielys tomorrow and having a scan done, what are some codes i should look for incase they pop up?

Old 02-28-2012, 08:01 AM
jam23
Rookie

I would say to diagnose your Oil problems like this first... If your oil psi drops to zero and your motor is being noisy then dont mess with the sending unit yet, it's extra time and frustration you dont necessarily have to go through. A bad sending unit will not cause your motor to be noisy. If you revv your engine and the noise disappears its a classic sign of oil pump failure. If its noisy no matter what it tells me you may just not be picking up oil through your pickup tube. However since your truck has over 200k on it I would strongly reccomend that you just replace your pickup tube, oil pump, and pan gasket together.

High volume oil pump- $90
Pickup tube and screen- $20
Gasket- $20
All prices from rockauto.com could not speak more highly of them.

be sure to clean your oil pan well too.
Throw it together again and call it a day.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:02 AM
jam23
Rookie

looks like I didn't realize there were 7 pages to this before I responded LOL "OH VELL"

Quick Reply: 96 Ram 1500 BIG Problems!