2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:48 PM
A_POLVADO
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No thermostat

Ok a few months ago I blew a head gasket so to nurse the truck home I pulled the thermostat. Well when I put it back together I never put in another thermostat (forgot about it) the truck has never run right since the blown gasket ie surges, lack of power, rough idle, bad mpg, Well it threw the p01228 cold to long . I guess my question is will no therm make a truck run like crap? Yes plenum has been fixed with a hughs plate and cat gutted

Sorry so long winded thanks for the help
2001 dodge ram 5.2

Old 02-24-2012, 01:12 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

Having no thermostat should only affect how it runs during cold starts. When the engine is up to running temp it should run normally. Sounds to me the head gasket issue is causing the rough running. If you don't want to replace the head gasket, throw in 2 tubes of Alumaseal. It is a band aid, but sometimes it'll reseal a HG for years. My dad had a GMC truck with a 350 BCIV Cummins that blew the head gasket. He put 5 tubes in the radiator and within 24 hours the truck was running normal and not overheating and running rough. He drove that truck for 2 years and over 200k miles more without a problem. I have repaired a head gasket with Alumaseal on a Jeep Wagoneer with a 401 V8. Now it started acting up again about 10k miles later, but I could afford to work on it by then. It isn't a cure-all, but it can greatly extend the time before a head job is needed.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mantisman51
Having no thermostat should only affect how it runs during cold starts. When the engine is up to running temp it should run normally. Sounds to me the head gasket issue is causing the rough running. If you don't want to replace the head gasket, throw in 2 tubes of Alumaseal. It is a band aid, but sometimes it'll reseal a HG for years. My dad had a GMC truck with a 350 BCIV Cummins that blew the head gasket. He put 5 tubes in the radiator and within 24 hours the truck was running normal and not overheating and running rough. He drove that truck for 2 years and over 200k miles more without a problem. I have repaired a head gasket with Alumaseal on a Jeep Wagoneer with a 401 V8. Now it started acting up again about 10k miles later, but I could afford to work on it by then. It isn't a cure-all, but it can greatly extend the time before a head job is needed.
GM actually buys stopleak from bars (in a different oem formula and used in a small dose of course) to seal all its systems when they roll off the assy line..

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 02-24-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:50 PM
A_POLVADO
Professional

Ive already done the headgasket its run like this since i know it doesnt get over 150ish degree when its warm

Old 02-24-2012, 02:01 PM
SilverSS
Captain

Mine didn't run like crap but it definitely will make it run rich and idle faster. Get a 195 stat and throw in there unless you're going to get a tuner.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:31 PM
A_POLVADO
Professional

Im fixing to get with hemifever in a week or so.plus I have new heads on the way.maybe its just a bad head

Old 02-24-2012, 02:33 PM
A_POLVADO
Professional

BTW Augiedoggy that is one good looking dodge

Old 02-24-2012, 02:57 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by A_POLVADO
Ok a few months ago I blew a head gasket so to nurse the truck home I pulled the thermostat. Well when I put it back together I never put in another thermostat (forgot about it) the truck has never run right since the blown gasket ie surges, lack of power, rough idle, bad mpg, Well it threw the p01228 cold to long . I guess my question is will no therm make a truck run like crap? Yes plenum has been fixed with a hughs plate and cat gutted

Sorry so long winded thanks for the help
2001 dodge ram 5.2
It might run like crap with no T-Stat. The ECT is not seeing the correct temp, so I would expect nothing less from the PCM than to tell you something is not right.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:32 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

not having a t-stat will not cause an engine to miss and sputter. it only causes the engine to over-cool and hang about 130 degrees instead of coming up to 195. the pcm will read the engine temp and adjust idle and fuel accordingly. the only problems with running at 130 are poor mpg and no heat and CEL code. if you think about it, your truck experiences temps from 30* to 130* every day in its warmup cycle, so this is not the problem.

your poor running condition is something else. check compression...

Old 02-24-2012, 03:44 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

OK, so let's put a T-Stat in and go from there. No diagnosing can be done until that is corrected.

Quick Reply: No thermostat