2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

adding a trailer wire harness?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 11:45 PM
tatitup8
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds good, thanks guyss

Old 04-03-2019, 09:39 AM
ktbass
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello again guys,
I wasn't sure if it would be appropriate to reply to an existing thread or create a new one. This thread is similar to what I'm dealing with.

I'm trying to revive my truck and want to add back the trailer wiring harness. I don't plan on towing heavy boat or car trailers, so a 7 pin probably isn't needed. I just want to be able to pull a small landscaping type trailer, nothing super heavy so I think a flat 4 connector would be fine. Before I bought the truck I can tell that it used to have all the trailer wiring installed, and I'm pretty sure the previous owner had trailer brakes (don't need those).

I snapped a couple pictures of some exposed wires on the drive and pass sides. You can tell something was installed at some point.
Note: one of the wires is for the license plate light, I'm in the process of replacing that as well....the plastic fell apart on the old socket.

Would this be a good wiring kit to purchase?
Amazon Amazon
Or should I go with something else? I might pull a small trailer 1 or 2 times a year, so not heavy usage at all.

If I wanted to add a 7-pin later on, would I just need to install something like this?
Amazon Amazon

pass side

driver side

Old 04-03-2019, 10:03 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

That bracket in the last pic is for the 7 pin trailer connector. If you think you are going to want one in the future, just do it now, instead of doing that job twice. Get rid of all the excess wiring leftovers, and start fresh for the install. The factory harnesses were know problem causers over time...... the splices they used weren't sealed, so, they would corrode, and you get all sorts of interesting problems...... Gonna need a drop hitch as well. May wanna consider one of the adjustable fellers. I think that is what I am going to need to do, my 8 inch drop hitch works, but, my little trailer sits at a pretty good angle when hooked up...... the dump trailer is ok though.

Quick Reply: adding a trailer wire harness?