2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Question about Flashing a PCM

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 05:47 PM
spooky
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Flashing a PCM

The other day I posted about about wanting to put a 1999 5.9L motor in my 2000 Ram which has a 5.2L in it now.

The info I got from board members here (thank you very much!!!) was - You don't want to use the PCM from the 1999 5.9L equipped truck. It will cause dash light and vin code problems. Just have your current PCM (2000 Ram 5.2L) flashed for the 5.9L engine when you do the engine install.

Ok cool. Now, how the heck do I do that? Is that something a dealer does for me? If not who can? And how much will this procedure typically cost?

Thanks Much!!!!

Spooky

Old 02-28-2012, 06:36 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the issue will be fuel delivery.. an SCT is the way to go- $375 for unlimited tuning through Hemifever...

my guess is that the PCM, in it's current condition (fuel trim for a 5.2) is capable of trimming for the larger displacement IN CLOSED LOOP.. the issue will be in open loop, where it will be thirsty.. it doesn't stay in open loop long (maybe three minutes on average) but if you're an aggressive driver, somewhere around 3/4 throttle it slips back into open loop- and you'll be missing the extra fuel then..

there is another interest here though: the cam on the 5.2 is more aggressive.. yeah, the displacement on the 360 is more, but it's more about air moved through the engine than displacement.. Open loop is rich anyway (no matter the displacement), so I wonder how big of an issue it would cause to run your existing PCM? You could even 'trick' it by running larger injectors...

Old 02-28-2012, 06:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

I would think just getting the 'canned' tunes for the 360 would be adequate to the task?

Old 02-28-2012, 06:52 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I would think just getting the 'canned' tunes for the 360 would be adequate to the task?
I tend to agree with you... I'm guessing the base trim tables aren't modified with the 'canned' tunes, though- and though he may be able to talk Sean into letting him slip by with that little adjustment, he may or may not do it..

for $375 he definitely will.. dunno with the $265 deal..

Old 02-28-2012, 07:33 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you guys happen to see the video I linked in the other thread the OP started about this? that guy had great luck running a mildly modded 5.9 off of the 5.2 pcm for over 2 or three years..I cant remember which..

I this thread should be merged with the original since its really just a new thread about the same topic from same OP...

Old 02-28-2012, 08:14 PM
spooky

Yes I did see the video that you linked to and thank you. Before I saw the vid I had heard of people doing the same thing and having some luck with it.

I decided to start a new thread b/c my original question was two fold, engine and trans. I wanted to get info and discuss options solely on the engine/pcm portion. As for the trans I want to read more of what is already available on the board before I ask more questions.

I digress:

As for the PCM / Flash issue. I am trying to find an answer that won't cost me $375. Heck the 5.9L engine only cost me $400, the truck is starting to rot out, the clear coat is starting to come off, the dash has cracked into a billion pieces and the trans is giving me trouble. I hope you all are getting the picture here. I want to do this as inexpensively as possible!

Can anyone flash the existing 5.2 pcm to the 5.9 specifications? Kind of like when they did the death flash on my pcm at the dealer all those years ago. What is the most cost effective path to get my truck set up for the 5.9L engine?

Is it absolutely necessary to go with a third party solution like the SCT?

I don't know much so please assume I know nothing!

Augiedoggy, I have thought about just running the 5.2 pcm and seeing what happens but I want to have the info I need in case that doesn't work.

Thanks again!

Spooky

Old 02-28-2012, 08:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Apparently, it works for others...... I would install the motor, and see how it goes. If you don't like it, address it at that point. Have a chat with Hemifever (Hemifevertuning.com) and see what he has to say, he should be able to set you right up. I don't think it will require anything custom..... so, prolly 265.00, and you are all set.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Gil Brannan
Default ecu option

Around the Cincinnati area there are a few pick-and-pull yards around. Cost about 2 dollars to window shop in the yard. They are on line w/a current (mostly) inventory. They can't tell you exactly what is left on each vechicle, but that its there for your viewing. KPaid 50 dollars for my stock ecu. Sounds lioke what you need. Gil

Quick Reply: Question about Flashing a PCM