2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

heavy oil consumption- not plenum

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 01:58 PM
jmelton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the link much better than the manual for my vaccuum gage. last time i checked it the vacuum was around 18 i cant remember the readings when i cracked open the throttle i'll check that later today. just a though but could partially blocked oil passages cause the pcv to draw up alot of oil. oil pressure is normal though.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:59 PM
jmelton

scenario 8 doesnt really fit it moved some but no more than 1-2 inchs

Old 02-29-2012, 02:00 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the only two things that will cause the PCV to cough oil are blow by gasses due to worn rings, or a faulty PCV.. it's purpose is to relieve pressure in the engine and NOT blow it all over the road..

you did a lot of work on the engine.. is there any chance your back cross block dowel gasket has failed? do you have any fresh oil on the bell housing?

Old 02-29-2012, 02:20 PM
jmelton

no fresh oil on bell housing redid vacuum test on deceleration gauge only goes to about 24 inchs now starting to think possibly rings going bad i'll still put the new pcv on and hope thatll help untill i have time to pull engine apart and replace rings . guess i'll be using some vacation time soon. i have thought about boring it 30 over if the rings are bad but was told not too by a guy who thinks he knows alot but never turns a wrench and probably can't any thoughts.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:30 PM
drewactual
Champion

those rings would have to be silly worn to spit that much oil.. I should have said "bad PCV".. that is a dealer purchase for me.. You can't trust the aftermarket on it at all... if the rings were that worn, it would be evident on a wet/dry compression test.

.030 over is pushing the envelope on a magnum block.. "how to build mopar small blocks" specifically says DON'T bore more than .020... that said, it's been done quite a bit with little reported issues.. that's how/where the mighty 408 becomes a 408 instead of a 402.. that .030 accounts for 6ci w/ the 4" stroker rods.. it's fairly common place, and from what I'm learning, cheaper to bore to that than anything else (available parts)..

specific to you, though, I wouldn't worry about it after you locate and address the issue.. I'm willing to put a beer on it that it's a bad PCV..

Old 02-29-2012, 02:46 PM
jmelton

i hope your right on that it was after all a cheap duralast that i had the wife pick up on her way home one day when i was changing plugs didnt want to use it but thought it couldnt hurt. one more thing just hooked my gage up to my crankcase breather and left the pcv in revved it up and got no vacuum it seemed to be pushing my gauge slightly in the other direction which i would take as too much blow by. I didnt do a wet dry compression test cause the compression seemed fine over 150 psi. if i get a chance tomorrow i'll check it again since my tester is at work.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:51 PM
jmelton

and yes the .030 kits are much easier to find than the .020 kits. just a thought if i'm going to tear it down to replace rings might as well get a little extra out of it.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:51 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
cylinders 1 and 8 like to ash foul the plugs... to the point they need to be cleaned/replaced about every six months. I REALLY would like to figger this one out.
Have you taken a peek at those terminals in the underside of the distributor cap? I've seen this quite a few times. Whenever I see two firing-order adjacent cylinders ashing up, I almost always see a bent distributor shaft or worn bushings allowing the shaft to wobble. The tell-tale if you don't have a scope handy is scoring on the terminals opposite the ashy ones, three/five/six for your one/eight problem.

It's be cool if it were that easy, huh?

Old 02-29-2012, 02:55 PM
drewactual
Champion

Originally Posted by jmelton
i hope your right on that it was after all a cheap duralast that i had the wife pick up on her way home one day when i was changing plugs didnt want to use it but thought it couldnt hurt. one more thing just hooked my gage up to my crankcase breather and left the pcv in revved it up and got no vacuum it seemed to be pushing my gauge slightly in the other direction which i would take as too much blow by. I didnt do a wet dry compression test cause the compression seemed fine over 150 psi. if i get a chance tomorrow i'll check it again since my tester is at work.
nah.. there will be some air pressure coming out of there- it's almost a certainty.. the blow-by shouldn't exceed the vacuum of the intake (and in turn, relaxing the check and allowing oil by)..

@ 150 dry, chances are you're okay.. if there is significant difference is when you'd be concerned.. 150 dry is holding good compression, and to the point I doubt you'd see more than 10#'s added wet.. which is good.. iirc 5# is the threshold, but it's usually when the dry is 100~130ish and the wet on the same cylinders is >+5 of that..

you either have a gross vacuum leak somewhere or a bad PCV.. I'd lean on the PCV.. they spit an amazing amount of oil left 'unchecked'.. the other option is a regulated vacuum leak which allows the reasonable blow-by pressure to exceed the intake vacuum..

after you replace the PCV with a dealer product, check your vacuum plugs at the manifold, and start following them back..

Old 02-29-2012, 02:58 PM
jmelton

oh it usually is not that easy lol but its worth a look. i did notice reman was stamped on the distributor when i had the intake off last and the last i had the cap off the terminals were all pretty evenly worn. but it cant hurt to check again

Quick Reply: heavy oil consumption- not plenum