2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

heavy oil consumption- not plenum

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 03:03 PM
jmelton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for that drewactual i feel a little better that i might not have to tear it down. the home made oil catcher i put in is a glass bottle between the pcv and the intake to see how much oil the pcv is drawing in i watched it run a couple days ago cold and could watch a steady stream of oil coming from the hose into the bottle, a small stream but still seemed excessive.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:09 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jmelton
thanks for that drewactual i feel a little better that i might not have to tear it down. the home made oil catcher i put in is a glass bottle between the pcv and the intake to see how much oil the pcv is drawing in i watched it run a couple days ago cold and could watch a steady stream of oil coming from the hose into the bottle, a small stream but still seemed excessive.
don't forget that amount of oil would fall back into the covers when the engine stops.. the vacuum of the intake pulls the check ball to the port which disallows the oil to pass.. when the engine needs to relieve that gas (it builds up) it allows it past.. your jar didn't have a check valve, so what you're seeing there is simply what the blow-by or crankcase gasses were pushing.. it doesn't mean it's excessive, but it doesn't NOT mean that either..

the rattle test of the PCV will lie to you with an inferior (for the task) PCV.. get that dealer one, dude..

Old 02-29-2012, 03:12 PM
jmelton

Originally Posted by drewactual
nah.. there will be some air pressure coming out of there- it's almost a certainty.. the blow-by shouldn't exceed the vacuum of the intake (and in turn, relaxing the check and allowing oil by)..

@ 150 dry, chances are you're okay.. if there is significant difference is when you'd be concerned.. 150 dry is holding good compression, and to the point I doubt you'd see more than 10#'s added wet.. which is good.. iirc 5# is the threshold, but it's usually when the dry is 100~130ish and the wet on the same cylinders is >+5 of that..

you either have a gross vacuum leak somewhere or a bad PCV.. I'd lean on the PCV.. they spit an amazing amount of oil left 'unchecked'.. the other option is a regulated vacuum leak which allows the reasonable blow-by pressure to exceed the intake vacuum..

after you replace the PCV with a dealer product, check your vacuum plugs at the manifold, and start following them back..
if it is leaking at the intake to head gasket at cylinders 6 and 8 since there so close would that show on a vacuum gauge or is it too low in the intake to show up I'v done the plenum check with a vacuum gauge according to the tsb it appears fine i would think if it was leaking there it would look like a leaking plenum. just throwing out ideas here.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:14 PM
jmelton

yeah i have the mopar pcv on the way ordered it yesterday.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:34 PM
blackbeasst
Veteran

hmmm, all this talk about aftermarket pcv valves is making me question my $2.99 advance auto purchase from this past summers plenum fix

Old 02-29-2012, 03:37 PM
jmelton

Originally Posted by blackbeasst
hmmm, all this talk about aftermarket pcv valves is making me question my $2.99 advance auto purchase from this past summers plenum fix
well we will see if the mopar makes a difference. i'll run it for a week and let ya know.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Have you taken a peek at those terminals in the underside of the distributor cap? I've seen this quite a few times. Whenever I see two firing-order adjacent cylinders ashing up, I almost always see a bent distributor shaft or worn bushings allowing the shaft to wobble. The tell-tale if you don't have a scope handy is scoring on the terminals opposite the ashy ones, three/five/six for your one/eight problem.

It's be cool if it were that easy, huh?
Now there is an interesting thought.... Cap was new recently, so, will have to take a look at that.

Wouldn't explain my oil consumption though.......

Old 02-29-2012, 03:50 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Wouldn't explain my oil consumption though.......
True, but it's worth a look next time you've nothing better to do, if you haven't yet worked up the courage to do the compression test.

Have you vacuum tested the monstrosity? Could be valve stem seals making cute little fudgesicles on those intake valves. Easy fix if you catch it before the crud gets too deep and the stems stretch.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
True, but it's worth a look next time you've nothing better to do, if you haven't yet worked up the courage to do the compression test.

Have you vacuum tested the monstrosity? Could be valve stem seals making cute little fudgesicles on those intake valves. Easy fix if you catch it before the crud gets too deep and the stems stretch.
Not yet. Will give that a shot next time I take it into the shop. Thanks for the idea.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:21 PM
jmelton

Update been using the mopar pcv and no smoking when engines cold and drastically reduce oil consumption, in fact I haven't had to add any oil to it since I put the pcv in. Still getting the bucking and jerking when it reaches operating temp even though I replace the o2 sensor with a new ntk. I guess now I can concentrate on that one. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: heavy oil consumption- not plenum