2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

where to mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 02:01 AM
Motorizer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to mount

relays?

I have 13 offroad lights on my ram......Before you tell me thats way too many or what not. I have heard it lol. let me explain it. I have a light bar on the front of my ram which hold 4 6inch lights. I have a headache rack which mounts my 2 antennas on the side along with 5 6 inch lights on the top facing forward. along with 2 facing backwards then i have 2 more lights on my rear bumper. any advice on how to keep all those wires looking clean and not like a mess and where do i mount all these relays. I am running 1 relay for every 2 lights. is there something else i should be looking into then a relay for every set of lights.... ihave been told numerous times that i dont need relays, but then i have been told yes use them or my truck could catch on fire. so i chose to use them.

thanks you for any and all help.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:17 AM
Novarider
Captain

Why do you need so many lights?

Old 03-04-2012, 08:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

He want's to look like a UFO coming down the trail.

I would be tempted to go to the junk yard, and pick up another PDC from a wrecked Ram, and mount that under the hood next to the current one.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:28 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I would hope these are LED lights, running 13 high amperage bulbs would put a pretty bad strain on the alternator. An LED bulb that gives off the the same amount of light as a 150 watt halogen bulb uses about 16 watts or basically 12.5 Amps per light vs. 1.3 Amps. You can run about 10 LED lights at the same power draw as 1 halogen bulb...

Old 03-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Passenger side wheel well in engine bay has plenty of room for all the relays to stare back at ya. Good access to run the wires out down along the frame rail. No clue about properly getting to the roof though.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Motorizer
Professional

@Wh1t3NuKle i never thought of there.

@HammerZ71 I am too poor for L.E.D. can i swap out the bulbs and change it all over to led? if so is that worth the money or should i just start saving up and purchase newer lighting with LED

@HeyYou hahahahahaha UFO alright ill check out a pdc from the local pick and pull

@Novarider I probably dont need this many lights I started buying them when i found good deals on daylighters and next think i know i was up to 13 lights and then had custom made two light bars for the truck and i like how it looks lol

here is a link to my photobucket album of my truck just a few pics. but pics none the less
thank you all for the comments i look forward to some more just trying to learn a thing or two and improve this project

http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/...01500%20sport/

Old 03-04-2012, 06:13 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorizer
@Wh1t3NuKle i never thought of there.

@HammerZ71 I am too poor for L.E.D. can i swap out the bulbs and change it all over to led? if so is that worth the money or should i just start saving up and purchase newer lighting with LED

@HeyYou hahahahahaha UFO alright ill check out a pdc from the local pick and pull

@Novarider I probably dont need this many lights I started buying them when i found good deals on daylighters and next think i know i was up to 13 lights and then had custom made two light bars for the truck and i like how it looks lol

here is a link to my photobucket album of my truck just a few pics. but pics none the less
thank you all for the comments i look forward to some more just trying to learn a thing or two and improve this project

http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/...01500%20sport/
I agreee on the load on the alternator. It will not be happy about carrying that and is likley to rob power form something critical.....like PCM!

And you album in photobucket requires a password....we can't see the picc! You can click on the link marked "img" on each photo and it will copy that link, then paste it into your post. That way the photo will be in the post and we do not have to follow a link to get there. Makes it easier!

Old 03-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Motorizer
Professional

Originally Posted by gdstock
I agreee on the load on the alternator. It will not be happy about carrying that and is likley to rob power form something critical.....like PCM!

And you album in photobucket requires a password....we can't see the picc! You can click on the link marked "img" on each photo and it will copy that link, then paste it into your post. That way the photo will be in the post and we do not have to follow a link to get there. Makes it easier!

oh sorry about that im not a pro with using photobucket lets see maybe this will work

Old 03-04-2012, 07:21 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep. That's lots of lights. If you don't runn all of them at one time it will probably not be a major issue. But relays will save some headaches and possible damage to alt and battery.

You might look at LED lighting. Necer saw any for that use, but it would lower power consumption.

Last edited by gdstock; 03-15-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Motorizer
Professional

Originally Posted by gdstock
Yep. That's ots of lights. If you don't runn all of them at one time it will probably not be a major issue. But relays will save some headaches and possible damage to alt and battery.

You might look at LED lighting. Necer saw any for that use, but it would lower power consumption.

i cant afford L.E.D. lights at the moment. Unless I can change out these to L.E.D. might be expensive that way also if that's possible. any suggestions on what alt to look for and what battery top go with im thinking duel batteries. I was looking into the optima batteries but i have heard nothing but bad things about them recently.

Quick Reply: where to mount