2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Freeze plug...crapped itself

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 08:10 PM
safrantz
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Told ya ya should have done it when you were there.

Ah well... I've been watching YouTube all night on the similar subject... I kind of want an engine hoist now... ah well. So you stood the 6" 2x4 vertically to jack up into the oil pan frame rail? Seems dangerous, but I'll try anything once (hopefully I come back with good news!)

Old 07-20-2012, 10:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Yeah, just be careful. And make sure the board is nice and straight, so the weight doesn't just spit it out. That would be bad.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:19 PM
S S0DEN
Professional

Originally Posted by Crackshot
Freeze plugs rot out like that because antifreeze actually turns to acid if it is not changed.
This is why radiator and antifreeze flushes are important.

Keep us posted how it works out!
They rot because they are white metal and are prone to oxidization. Brass does not oxidize at the rate of white metal or steel.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:45 PM
Steven Mcalister

just read your post made me remember when i was a kid back in the 60s we were going over the grapevine in Calif my pops 59 chrysler big block and blew the soft plug he took a silver dollar and used it to replace the old plug. it worked i just wonder if anybody ever found it it had to bring a smile to there face.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:54 AM
dog dodge

ive a 2000 truck 5.9 gas and doing the freeze plug drivers side behind motor mount . oreily web site says its a 1.25'' shallow cup but i read here its a 1 5/8'' ?

Old 02-28-2021, 06:27 PM
raychrl

Can you give some more detail on how you replaced the freeze plug behind the motor mount? I have to replace mine- drivers side behind the motor mount 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2l manual. Thanks, Charles

Old 02-28-2021, 06:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Loose the motor mount bolt, the mounts are slotted, so you don't have to pull it all the way out. Jack up the motor so you can get access to the bolts that hold the mount on, remove the mount, do what ya gotta do to get the old one out. (I just stabbed a big screwdriver thru it, and pried it out...) clean the hole with some sand paper. (keep in mind, unless the cooling system is drained before you start, yer gonna get wet, and even if you drain it, you are STILL gonna get wet.....) put some RTV around the perimeter of the new freeze plug, and drive it into the hole. I used a big socket, that fit inside the plug, and a short extension to tap it in. Worked great.

Old 03-01-2021, 12:09 AM
raychrl

I can't tell you what a huge help that is. I was convinced I was going to have to get someone to lift the engine for this. Thanks, Charles

Quick Reply: Freeze plug...crapped itself