2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission change out

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 08:45 PM
peshewa
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default transmission change out

Hey all, I finally bought a low miles used 42re from my local scrap yard. I have a 2001 V6 2wd automatic, so please don't start tweaking off about getting a 46re with mods in there, I simply don't have the kind of upgrade cash that takes. I did search the stickies but did not see a clear step by step that I want to go over the basics. I am going to do this in the next day or 2. I know how to change the unit physically, but I do not know how to adjust the TV cable to make that right & if there is any other stuff special to the 42re I should be aware of. I already sprayed down the bolts with penetrating lubricant to get a jump on less busted knuckle skin ahead of time. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Remove the crank sensor before you do anything else. (aside from disconnecting the battery.)

It's actually pretty straightforward. Drop the driveshaft, support the trans, disconnect all the electrical, and linkages, (including the tv cable.....) Drop starter, remove inspection plate from bellhousing, removed bolts flexplate/torque converter... This can be challenging if you don't have air tools. Gotta hold everything in place while you break loose the bolts. Once those are out, unbolt trans from engine, remove crossmember, and lower trans on whatever jack you happen to have under it. Careful how you tilt it, or it will puke fluid all over. Also make sure the t/c doesn't fall off on you when you lower the trans. That can hurt... (don't ask...)

Grab the service manual for your truck from the faq section here. All procedures, including tv cable adjustment, will be detailed quite nicely in there.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:14 AM
peshewa
Veteran

I am combing through the fsm for any reference to the crankshaft position sensor & cant find it anywhere. can you guys give me some help on that one? i am starting the swap out by lunch time tomarrow.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:24 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
This can be challenging if you don't have air tools. Gotta hold everything in place while you break loose the bolts.
I've always just used a big freakin' screwdriver with the bit in the teeth and the shaft on the converter housing. It's a bit slower turning the flex plate that way than with the proper tool, though.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:46 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by peshewa
I am combing through the fsm for any reference to the crankshaft position sensor & cant find it anywhere. can you guys give me some help on that one? i am starting the swap out by lunch time tomarrow.

Do yourself a favor on top of all the great advice you get from DF. And get a Haynes manual also. That and the FSM are a great combo.

Something else missing from the FSM download. I've found numerous things missing from it. That the Haynes and my hard copy 98 FSM has in it. Funny that the 01 download gives torque specs for the CKP, but no testing or removal and replacement procedure. (like all the other sensors). Maybe I missed it, but I doubt it. I guess it's kind of hard to explain how to replace something you can't see. LOL

Last edited by zman17; 03-09-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:52 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

look at about 1 o'clock in the picture below.
Name:  026.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  94.9 KB

Old 03-12-2012, 01:18 AM
peshewa
Veteran

Thanks for the spot on advice you guys. I have old pig out but am having great issues getting the new one lined up right. I have it strapped to the head of a floor jack. I need the thing to rotate about 3/4 of an inch, but can't. Any tips here guys?

Old 03-12-2012, 07:17 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by peshewa
I have it strapped to the head of a floor jack. I need the thing to rotate about 3/4 of an inch, but can't. Any tips here guys?
Try sneaking a small piece of plywood between the jack pad and the transmission, and get a good balance so you can leave the strap(s) just a bit loose. Then you can use miscellaneous bits of lumber or other flotsam to nudge the transmission into the proper orientation.

If ya haven't got 'em in there already, make yourself a couple of guides out of bolts similar to the converter housing bolts, with a couple of inches of plain (unthreaded) shank. Cut the heads off and notch the head end so a screwdriver can be used to turn them back out. Thread those into the opposite sides of the block, and guide the converter housing onto them. Easy peasy, kinda sorta. After several other bolts are in, but before cranking them down, back your guides out and get their respective bolts in place.

Be darn sure that the converter housing is square to the block before you tighten up the bolts. You might have to get creative with shims to get the transmission into the same vertical plane as the block.

Quick Reply: transmission change out