2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ac issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 09:05 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The only green wire I see in the circuit is on the A/C request circuit, from the heater control head, to the PCM. It runs thru both low, and high pressure cut off switches. If the switch is actually screwed into the a/c compressor, that is probably the high pressure cut-off switch. I don't know if removing it will discharge the system....

High pressure switch should have a light green wire coming in, and a light green with white trace coming out. Low pressure is light green/white in, and brown wire coming out.
Ok...Im trying to figure this out,so in the other post you said low but this one high,so both green wires it should be high right?Also you said the white wire runs off to a ground somewhere...so maybe since I ran a ground off of the spliced wire maybe I have a bad ground?I looked&cant find where it grounds so idk

Old 03-12-2012, 11:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

You grounded the light green wire, with white trace, and the system worked, so, that was after the HIGH pressure switch, near the compressor, right? The light green/white wire should run to another switch mounted to the line, or, on the receiver/dryer, they moved them around in various years. It will have the lg/w coming in, and a brown wire coming out, THAT is the switch that I suspect is bad.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:17 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

You grounded the light green wire, with white trace, and the system worked, so, that was after the HIGH pressure switch, near the compressor, right? The light green/white wire should run to another switch mounted to the line, or, on the receiver/dryer, they moved them around in various years. It will have the lg/w coming in, and a brown wire coming out, THAT is the switch that I suspect is bad.
I see!Ok Ill check that out in the morning thank you sir!

Old 03-13-2012, 02:14 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The low pressure switch should be on top of the accumulator next to the PCM. As HeyYou stated.

And you are going to lose the 134a when replacing the switch. Which I suspect you don't have enough in it to start with. You need to release the pressure first. As in having it evac'd . I really don't like helping with AC issues. People can get hurt, and you need the right equipment to charge it correctly.

Last edited by zman17; 03-13-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:29 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

Originally Posted by zman17
The low pressure switch should be on top of the accumulator next to the PCM. As HeyYou stated.

And you are going to lose the 134a when replacing the switch. Which I suspect you don't have enough in it to start with. You need to release the pressure first. As in having it evac'd . I really don't like helping with AC issues. People can get hurt, and you need the right equipment to charge it correctly.
Like I said earlier it's fully charged&I topd it off when I checked it.Went to the dealership today &the guy I talked to said you dont have to discharge it,I wasnt sure about that so I called another dealership when I got home&asked if they had to discharge it if I had them fix it&they said no also...so Im confused.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

The switch screws onto a schraeder valve. Should be able to change it out easily, and if you are quick, you won't lose much, if any, refrigerant.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:49 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

The switch screws onto a schraeder valve. Should be able to change it out easily, and if you are quick, you won't lose much, if any, refrigerant.
Ok cool just wanna make sure I dont get hurt

Old 03-13-2012, 10:10 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Removing the switch on a fully charged system = likely injury. As zman said, it should be evacuated first and then recharged.....to do it safely.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:15 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

Well Im looking into it some more like I said the two dealerships said no&in this link it says you dont have to discharge it other
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Auto-Air-...e-Ram-2500.htm

Old 03-13-2012, 10:18 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

Well Im looking into it some more like I said the two dealerships said no&in this link it says you dont have to discharge it other
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Auto-Air-...e-Ram-2500.htm
Im gonna call around tomorrow to see how much to have a shop discharge it anyhow I guess.Hate to spend money if I dont need too

Quick Reply: ac issues