2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ac issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012 | 09:33 PM
cutthroatxxx
|
All Star

Ok thanks, looks like maybe I need to reokace the pigtail &wire I spliced. I think its part of the problem

Old 03-15-2012 | 02:08 AM
cutthroatxxx
|
All Star

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Open circuit.

The PCM puts a voltage down the brown wire, that passes thru the low pressure switch, to the light green with white trace wire, then to the high pressure switch, to the light green wire, and then off to the control head. When the PCM sees that circuit as 'complete', it trips the relay that actually controls the A/C compressor..... (yeah, needlessly complicated.) Somewhere between the high pressure switch, and the control head, that wire is either broken, or crimped, or just a crummy connection, so you aren't getting the voltage across it that the PCM wants to see to turn on the compressor. So, ya need to follow the light green wire, from the high pressure switch, to the heater control head........ and find the problem spot.

If you just wanna put a toggle on it for now, use the light green wire (that is, AFTER the high pressure switch) to control the circuit. (basically, just a toggle to ground..... switch on, compressor runs like it should, switch off, compressor doesn't run at all.) That way, both switches will ALSO still control the circuit.
I know you said to ground the light green...but Ive been grounding the light green with the white in it.Also I think Ive already said this but if I disconnect where I spliced and leave the wire @ the plug
Just hanging lose &take the other end I can just ground that piece of wire...so could it have something to do with that? Because it seems like if the wire isnt even making it to the plug&I csn ground it that way then maybe its that pigtail plug?Also is there a way to check th switch on the compressor?

Last edited by cutthroatxxx; 03-15-2012 at 02:13 AM.
Old 03-15-2012 | 09:14 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

The reason I suggest using the light green wire, instead of the light green with white trace is, it is AFTER the high pressure switch in the circuit. Grounding the lg/w wire removes the high pressure switch from the circuit, giving the compressor the opportunity to put more pressure into the system than it is rated for........ with predictable results. (which wouldn't be any fun either.....)

You should have 12 volts on the lg wire coming out of the high pressure switch, if you don't, then you have found your problem.

Old 03-15-2012 | 11:43 AM
cutthroatxxx
|
All Star

The reason I suggest using the light green wire, instead of the light green with white trace is, it is AFTER the high pressure switch in the circuit. Grounding the lg/w wire removes the high pressure switch from the circuit, giving the compressor the opportunity to put more pressure into the system than it is rated for........ with predictable results. (which wouldn't be any fun either.....)

You should have 12 volts on the lg wire coming out of the high pressure switch, if you don't, then you have found your problem.
Ok so heres where Im@the light green next to the brown reads24+ so does the light green with the white line...so the light green next to that reads zip...so if thats my problem would it be the. switch,the plug or the wire itself? Sorry confused

Old 03-15-2012 | 12:38 PM
gdstock
Legend

Unless you have 2 batteries in series, you should not have 24 volts at any point. And if you do, there is going to be bigger problems.

Are you reading volts...or something else that is showing 24?

Old 03-15-2012 | 01:27 PM
cutthroatxxx
|
All Star

Sorry anout that had my meter set wro ng...so on light green next to brown 12-13 volts light green with white line 12-13 &the light green next to it a very lo reading of like .5 so wtf does that mean?Thanks guys Im cluless on this as Im sure u can tell

Old 03-15-2012 | 01:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by cutthroatxxx
Sorry anout that had my meter set wro ng...so on light green next to brown 12-13 volts light green with white line 12-13 &the light green next to it a very lo reading of like .5 so wtf does that mean?Thanks guys Im cluless on this as Im sure u can tell
Try putting a jumper wire in that connector (disconnected from switch), and see if the a/c runs.

Old 03-15-2012 | 01:34 PM
cutthroatxxx
|
All Star

Try putting a jumper wire in that connector (disconnected from switch), and see if the a/c runs.
Ok...how do I do that put one ene of the in the switch&the other where?

Old 03-15-2012 | 01:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Unplug the connector from the switch, connector has two terminals, use a short piece of wire stuffed into each terminal on the connector. You are basically bypassing the switch.

You can also set your meter to measure resistance, and test resistance across the terminals on the switch, should be near zero...... if it reads really high, that would indicate the switch is open. If pressure in the system is correct, means the switch is bad.

Old 03-15-2012 | 02:17 PM
cutthroatxxx
|
All Star

Fixed!The day I first noticed it I went to buy a plug&they didnt have one so after u told me how to jump it I noticed the crimpd end was pushed all the way in...took it apart &fixed it now it's cold.Thank you guys so much..great learning experience.

Quick Reply: ac issues