2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny sensor and solenoid replaced, but still acting up.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 11:57 AM
blackbeasst
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Rebuild prices are all over the place. 1200 doesn't seem unreasonable. But, that is prolly for a stock rebuild, using stock quality parts..... which were inadequate when the truck was new..... Without doing some upgrades, I don't think a rebuild is worth it.
would a band replacement be advised without doing anything else?

Old 03-22-2012, 12:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbeasst
would a band replacement be advised without doing anything else?
For the money? No. Spend a bit more, fix it once, fix it right. Don't worry about it again.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:46 AM
blackbeasst
Veteran

bit the bullet and dropped her off today for a complete rebuild. better be the best ****** $1200 i've ever spent LOL!

Old 03-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by billcart
I have been chasing my transmission problems for years now. I finally broke down and had a local shop rebuild it with the alto steels and a sonnax shift it. WOW is all I have to say. You can change the fluid every 10-15k and it will run forever (with lots of probs) but in the end you have to do some upgrades to it in order for it to last. Mainly the gear ratios in the rear (and front for 4x4's). These trucks DO NOT like the 3.55 stock gears. I recommend 4.10 for the 2x's and 4.56 or better for the 4x4's. Just my own opinion. It's not like I am on my 2nd 4x4 ram or anything, oh wait! I AM! lol

Or you can be smart and do what HeyYou said and get the VIPER! If I had the dinero I would. My rebuild was 2900 with all the upgrades and I made them replace the u joints front and rear. Considering I flushed my transmission every 10-15k for the last 6 years I should have done this years ago. Oh yeah, don't forget to get an external oil cooler.
You say change the gears but mention nothing about the tire size.... one has everything to do with how the other performs..you have to look at them like they are both gears that work together and the size of one effects the power and ratio of the other...
Of course 4.56 is the way to go with 315's.... its likely that if you drove the truck with 315's and 3.55 gears that was the source of a lot of your tranny issues... just saying..

Old 03-26-2012, 10:32 AM
blackbeasst
Veteran

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
You say change the gears but mention nothing about the tire size.... one has everything to do with how the other performs..you have to look at them like they are both gears that work together and the size of one effects the power and ratio of the other...
Of course 4.56 is the way to go with 315's.... its likely that if you drove the truck with 315's and 3.55 gears that was the source of a lot of your tranny issues... just saying..
im guessing stock is 3:55? what would be suggested if im runnin 285's?

like i've said before my 5000lb burb seems to have more pep and get up hills quicker then my ram . i think someone says thats cause the chevys have better gearing in them.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, the 700R4 has lower first gear.... so, it helps to get ya rollin'. I also think the 'burb has 3.73 gears?

For 285's, go with 4.10, or 4.56. Use the higher (numerically) gear set if you tow/haul/off road a lot.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:23 AM
blackbeasst
Veteran

Yeah, the 700R4 has lower first gear.... so, it helps to get ya rollin'. I also think the 'burb has 3.73 gears?

For 285's, go with 4.10, or 4.56. Use the higher (numerically) gear set if you tow/haul/off road a lot.
no towing and very rarely haulin. so it looks like 4.10's since i don't think i'll be putting anything bigger then 285's on it. are 4.10's still good if i go back to stock size road tires instead of meatier ones like i have?

Old 03-26-2012, 11:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by blackbeasst
no towing and very rarely haulin. so it looks like 4.10's since i don't think i'll be putting anything bigger then 285's on it. are 4.10's still good if i go back to stock size road tires instead of meatier ones like i have?
Yeah, with the stock size tires, you will have better bottom end, and slightly higher engine RPM for the same given speed. In all reality, either way you look at it, it's an upgrade.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:34 AM
blackbeasst
Veteran

Yeah, with the stock size tires, you will have better bottom end, and slightly higher engine RPM for the same given speed. In all reality, either way you look at it, it's an upgrade.
cool. course that'll prolly never happen. my wife is already pissed i gotta drop $1200 into the tranny....on top of the $1000+ to update all the parts to go along with the plenum

Old 04-02-2012, 08:23 PM
blackbeasst
Veteran

well i got her back today. seems fine for now. but one thing baffles me. please know im no mechanic by any means, but when i was under there it seems like there were some bolts that should been removed to drop it that weren't touched. how can i for sure tell this dude dropped it and rebuilt it?

Quick Reply: Tranny sensor and solenoid replaced, but still acting up.