2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wheel Spacers/ Leveling kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 09:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Not if you stay under three inches. (or don't go OVER three inches.....) After three, you need to start addressing other issues as well... track bar, longer control arms, drop pitman arm, longer brake lines, etc.

You WILL need an alignment though.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:11 PM
wulfgar
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been said that the leveling can contribute to getting the "death wobble". Not sure if my truck has a leveling kit or not was this way when I bought it. But I've had the DW twice had to replace my trac bar twice really think I needed to get an adjustable one but as me and HeyYou discussed our funds just "whisper good bye". I may start a thread with pics of my front suspension and see if anyone can tell me what's up.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

any sloppy steering linkage parts can give you death wobble. Track bar is the usual culprit though...... not something you can really see in pics.... you need to check all the parts in person, if it's moves, and shouldn't, replace it. If it moves in a way it shouldn't.... replace it.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:39 PM
wulfgar
Amateur

I'm just curious on how much of a lift I have. I don't even want to think of the rest of the things that I " need" to replace on the front end. " as my wallet gently weeps "

Old 03-13-2012, 11:50 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Worn steering gearbox can contribut to that as well as worn pitman arm. I know....more money......sorry!

Old 03-13-2012, 11:51 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote: I'm just curious on how much of a lift I have. I don't even want to think of the rest of the things that I " need" to replace on the front end. " as my wallet gently weeps "

Post some pix so we can see. Also in the 96 FSM Under, Introduction, Vehicle dimensions, you might be able to figure out how much lift you have.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:52 AM
wulfgar
Amateur

Post some pix so we can see. Also in the 96 FSM Under, Introduction, Vehicle dimensions, you might be able to figure out how much lift you have.[/QUOTE]

I posted a few pics in a new thread. My brother in-law has a 97 1500 4x4 extended cab stock and I measured to the wheel from the ground and I had 4" higher on back and 3" on front and my mt tires are about bald. " there's more money" it never ends but it's our only transpo now for my family of 4. At least it runs like a top with 189,000 miles and I only paid 500$ for it. Poor kids texts me about every other week wanting to buy it back lol

Old 03-14-2012, 12:53 AM
wulfgar
Amateur

Measured to the wheel well*

Old 03-14-2012, 08:40 AM
P1NKST@FF
Professional

To be sure hey you has more experience, but I didn't have the foresight to unbolt the sway bar because I didnt think it would let it go lower but if I remember correctly at the most droop I could get from the axle I am pretty sure it was the main steering bar that came off my steering box that was binding and worried me about bending and the springs needed to be compressed. If I could do it again I would rent the correct ones and not have to compress just one side and hope it held... Just something to think about

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacers/ Leveling kit