2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wheel Spacers/ Leveling kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 05:25 PM
qpavel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Spacers/ Leveling kit

I'm looking to put the leveling kit on my '94 Dodge here in a few months.

Number one question is where is a reliable place to pick up the leveling kit? I know it's all pretty simple to install but I'm looking for some quality product to put on it. Not really interested in a huge lift, just looking to make it level with the back end. But, if a lift kit is a better option I'm all ears to suggestions.

Secondly, I'm looking for some spacers to move the tires out a little. Not a whole lot but I'd like to make 'er look a little more mean coming down the road. Hope that makes sense. I don't really have the first clue in where to go and what to look for concerning spacers and moving the wheels out some.

All advice and opinions are welcome!

Thanks

Old 03-13-2012, 08:12 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

I've seen a few people on here that use the hellbent steel spacers and have no complaints: $80+shipping http://www.hellbentsteel.com/product...eling-kit.html

I'm not too sure about wheel spacers. It's safer to just get wider tires and rims with less backspacing. But that's more costly I guess...

Old 03-13-2012, 08:17 PM
P1NKST@FF
Professional

+1 on hell bent steal, it's time to upgrade but I love my spacers

Old 03-13-2012, 08:54 PM
qpavel

@Matt Nickerson

What's a good place to look for a decent set of rims and tires. And what are the number sizes on the backspacing and tires? Rims as well. I don't know a whole lot about backspacing and the like.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:57 PM
qpavel

Also whats the rundown on installing a set of the HBS leveling kits?

Old 03-13-2012, 09:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Stock wheels are probably 16X7.5, with 4.5 inch backspacing. You kinda sorta wanna retain the geometry, so your hubs are fairly centered in the wheel...... If that makes any sense...... So, if you go two inches wider, go with an inch more backspacing.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Hylander7
Professional

I'm about to level mine as well, only I desided to raise mine using new 2500 gasser coils up front. Same price as the spacers.
The guys that have given me advise on it seem to happy going this route. I won't be doing mine for about a week so I can't give my personal experiance yet, but thought I would throw out another option.

No clue on the wheel options

Old 03-13-2012, 09:08 PM
qpavel

@Hylander7- I'll look into the spring system.

With the leveling kit am I going to have to compress my springs at all? Or can I just drop that whole "girdle" (Tie rods, control arms, etc.) slide in and mount the spacers above the coil springs, put it all back together and get an alignment?

Or is it more involved than that?

Old 03-13-2012, 09:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

4x4 by your profile.... so, unbolt the shock, removing it would prolly make the job easiest, unbolt the sway bar link, just one end, doesn't matter which, jack up the axle a bit, take the tire off, then set it down on something, as low as you possibly can..... then jack the truck up by the frame until you have enough room to slip your spacer on top of the spring. then just put it all back together.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:16 PM
qpavel

@HeyYou

Awesome. That all sounds pretty clear to me. Only question is, I've heard the 4x4 linkage needs to be lengthened. Any truth to that?

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacers/ Leveling kit