2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Right Front Brake is Locked Up

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 09:54 PM
TomV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right Front Brake is Locked Up

I have been searching threads the last two nights. Have read lots of threads and havent found an answer. I Had the front wheels off and the truck on jack stands. Noticed the hard line on the front pass side was wet. I wiggled it and it snapped. Replaced that hard line. Have bled the brakes at all four corners, several times. I'm reading where a collapsed soft line will cause a lock up. I don't see that as being my issue. The soft line didn't cause the hard line to fail. Brakes were fine all around before I replaced that hard line. Bleeding brakes is a science, it's not rocket science. I don't mind replacing the soft lines. When that doesn't resolve the issue...what's next? There appear to be blenders at the master cylinder. Is it possible I have an air lock somewhere. Is there a bleeding procedure or step I am missing. It is to the point of being ridiculous.

Any help is always appreciated!

Old 03-14-2012, 10:18 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Locking brakes can be caliper sticking. I would also replace the soft lines if it was me. There could be some trash in the line from the deterioration of hard lines. Also may be trash in caliper. May disassemble and clean or replace. They are not expensive.

Last edited by gdstock; 03-14-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:30 PM
TomV

I'm not overly concerned with the expense as much as I am the time. Reality is if I am going to do soft lines and pull the calipers...I might as well rebuild the whole mess and do rotors and pads. The brakes were fine. That hard line was going to pop. It is why we were poking around in the first place. I am just perplexed that replacing that one hard line is now turned into a puzzle. I am hoping that someone sees this thread and has a " I've been there" moment.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:09 PM
jswain
Veteran

If you replace soft lines and/or calipers on one side, I'd recommend doing them on the other side also. I've been there as far as replacing one thing in a system, and then having to replace everything else. I put on a new radiator. Soon after, the thermostat gasket started leaking. Fixed that, and the heater core started leaking. Makes sense, I guess, since the cooling system is under pressure. Like GD said, bleeding the brakes probably pushed something in the old brake fluid and lines somewhere it didn't need to be.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:12 PM
gdstock
Legend

I have owned over 40 vehicles (currently 8) and have done brakes on many of them. Any point of failure can cause another issue. Change it or don't....your choice. Trying to figure out the why sometimes has little impact. Trash from a corroded line creates a lot of potential problems. I had one that I had to replace nearly every hard line to eliminate the trash, so I did them all to be sure. Brakes are important. I replace anything suspect myself.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:57 AM
TomV

I am a big fan of replacing components in pairs head lights, brake pads, hoses, etc i am going to call this morning and see if I can get my hands on the soft lines and try that tonite.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:40 PM
jswain
Veteran

Originally Posted by gdstock
I have owned over 40 vehicles (currently 8) and have done brakes on many of them. Any point of failure can cause another issue. Change it or don't....your choice. Trying to figure out the why sometimes has little impact. Trash from a corroded line creates a lot of potential problems. I had one that I had to replace nearly every hard line to eliminate the trash, so I did them all to be sure. Brakes are important. I replace anything suspect myself.
8? Damn dude, you need to have a yard sale. Wonder how much it would cost to fill them all up with gas at once. Lol

Old 03-15-2012, 10:48 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by jswain
8? Damn dude, you need to have a yard sale. Wonder how much it would cost to fill them all up with gas at once. Lol

One of them holds 100 gallons.....I can't afford to fill them all at once. Two are inoperable until I rebuild them. I have a HUGE backyard with a couple carports in the back, No yard sale. Still negotiating on puprchasing a 52 Chevy 5 window truck....

But just keeping gas in the two daily drivers is about $400 a month.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:55 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No telling how long there was a pin hole in that brake line. That means the caliper itself and the piston were not moving. That means stuck/seized slide pins and or piston.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:18 AM
TomV

The new hoses did the trick...a bulb to change and I think we may be ready for state inspection.

Quick Reply: Right Front Brake is Locked Up