2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine codes without check engine light?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 10:47 AM
pure adrenaline
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neilsrpcustoms
I believe you have more serious issues than the gov. If you don't have 1st,2nd,3rd, or rev. That means that the direct drive clutches in the tail housing are not engaged...ie( spring that holds clutch pressure is shot, and or clutches). Only a loss of third or reverse is a front clutch failure...ie, piston seals (when the fluid is cold it will work due to thicker viscosity helping it to maintain pressure.) The gov only is used to time shifts by applying more pressure to the shift valves. The kick down valve applies pressure on the opposite side of the valve to hold off shifts longer as the gas pedal is pressed harder....or force a down shift.

One thing I would have checked is the trans line pressures. I would say a rebuild is probably needed.

I really hope its not a complete rebuild. Im hoping a small investment in the governor solenoid and temp sensor can bring her back to life. I bought a cheapo code reader this morning and hooked it up and it showed a P0740 code. I dont know enough about transmissions to understand if that code is telling me I have a bad torque converter or a bad torque converter circut(sensor). If I do need a new tranny I am going to roll the dice with a junkyard transmission and put any parts I purchase into it.

Does anyone have an idea about the P0740 error code. My book says "TCC Circut Malfunction".

Old 03-17-2012, 10:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Basically it means that when the PCM is commanding TCC lockup, it isn't seeing the corresponding RPM drop it expects. Could be a wiring problem, bad TCC solenoid, or, failed torque converter.....

Old 03-17-2012, 11:06 AM
pure adrenaline
Rookie

I bought my own error code tester this morning and it showed a P0740 code. Could the TCC solenoid be causing this? The description in the book that came with the tester says "TCC Circut Malfunction".

Old 03-17-2012, 12:11 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be the TC solenoid, lack of adequate fluid pressure to lock up TC, or wiring going to TC solenoid.

And for reference, the clutches in the tailshaft are OD set.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:24 PM
pure adrenaline
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Basically it means that when the PCM is commanding TCC lockup, it isn't seeing the corresponding RPM drop it expects. Could be a wiring problem, bad TCC solenoid, or, failed torque converter.....
I found the TCC Solenoid on ebay but cant find where it goes. I am going to replace it too if I can ever find it. lol When I google "TCC Location 1996 46RE" I am finding a lot of people looking for it's location. Does it have another name or\and is it under the pan or elswhere?
Thank you in advance

Old 03-17-2012, 12:29 PM
pure adrenaline
Rookie

Originally Posted by gdstock
It could be the TC solenoid, lack of adequate fluid pressure to lock up TC, or wiring going to TC solenoid.

Is the fluid pressure controlled by the governor components? I am still trying to physically locate the TC solenoid. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Old 03-17-2012, 12:34 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you download the service manual form the FAQ/DIY section there is a very good section on the transmission in there. Diagnosis, repair, etc. TC, OD, Gove press sensor and solenoid are all located in the same area on the valve body.

Last edited by gdstock; 03-18-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:41 AM
neilsrpcustoms
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gdstock

You are correct, the first clutch pack you see when seperating the tail from the main body are the OD clutches. The second set of clutches that are held under spring tension are the Direct drive clutch packs. When the OD clutch piston is engaged, it compresses the OD Clutch engaging it and also applies pressure to the center hub of the direct drive clutches releasing them and allowing the last planetary to spin up,giving you OD.

This is the reason that it is reccomended not to tow in OD. You lose the direct clutch pack. If this pack fails, the only gear you could have power in, would be OD, because that's the only time it doesn't work.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:54 AM
neilsrpcustoms
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to drop the valvebody to get to it, but I don't think it's worth the time. The only time your converter is locked up is 3rd and OD. If the clutches are slipping in the trans, and the torque converter clutch is engaged and the RPM doesn't drop ( like HeyYou said) then the computer is going to kick that code.

The computer can't reason with itself to tell you there is a mechanical malfunction, but rather the malfunction will cause codes to be set.

Now if you had all gears as normal and no lock-up in 3rd or OD, then yes, that's a good place to start before replacing the converter. The other thing is that the valvebody is the brain of the trans, and that being said,every screw and bolt has a torque value. I've seen alot of valvebody's cracked or malfunctioning from improper torqing.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:50 AM
pure adrenaline
Rookie

Originally Posted by neilsrpcustoms
You have to drop the valvebody to get to it, but I don't think it's worth the time. The only time your converter is locked up is 3rd and OD. If the clutches are slipping in the trans, and the torque converter clutch is engaged and the RPM doesn't drop ( like HeyYou said) then the computer is going to kick that code.

The computer can't reason with itself to tell you there is a mechanical malfunction, but rather the malfunction will cause codes to be set.

Now if you had all gears as normal and no lock-up in 3rd or OD, then yes, that's a good place to start before replacing the converter. The other thing is that the valvebody is the brain of the trans, and that being said,every screw and bolt has a torque value. I've seen alot of valvebody's cracked or malfunctioning from improper torqing.
I bought the "overdrive and lockup dual solenoid assembly" because it was included in the kit http://www.ebay.com/itm/170789930133 along with the governor components. I dont want to drop the valve body if I can avoid it for risk of damage. Maybe I shouldn't replace the "overdrive and lockup dual solenoid assembly" unless the governor parts dont work? Does it matter that the loss of 1st and 2nd was an intermittent failure. At first they worked all the time with problems only occuring with and without OD. The more I drove it showing friends what it was doing the worse it got. I have included a picture of my tranny with the 2 governor parts removed to make sure were talking about the same transmission. Three star screws and a connector are visible to me. I was hoping those were the only 3 screws I needed to remove to replace the TCC\Overdrive part. Please let me know if you still think the valve body needs to be removed for replacement?

Engine codes without check engine light?-de180038a.jpg
or
http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/q.../DE180038a.jpg

Thank you in advance

Quick Reply: Engine codes without check engine light?