2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2000 ram a/c issue help

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 09:42 PM
clarke83
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 ram a/c issue help

so i been searching for a number of hours and i cant seem to find any post with this issue to start i have a 2000 ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 with the 5.2l engine its getting hot out so i decided to charge my a/c when i started the clutch on the a/c compresor would not move because it was so low on r134 after i got the system fully charged the clutch/compressor works great now for my issue the a/c blows hot i get nothing cold in the cab the lowside line gets ice cold everything seems to be in great working order except for no cold air. When i switch from a/c to defrost vents to floor vent the air all circulates to where in needs to be the speeds from low to high all work great i did notice though that on the cold air/hot air **** or the climate control **** may explain it better well when i turn that from red to blue or blue to red i feel little to no resistance it moves very easily im just wondering if anyone else had this issue or a problem like this like i said everything is charged and all controls work fine except for the climate im not sure if there is supposed to be resistance in that but again mine has none any help would be greatly appriciated thanks in advance if you need to know anything else let me know

Old 03-19-2012, 09:46 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

im not sure i it would make a difference but if it makes you feel better you can pop the front dash cover off and see if something on the **** broke.

not entirely sure houw the a/c system works but maybe you have a clogged hose somewhere in the system. maybe try flushing the system then recharge it.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:50 PM
clarke83

im not sure flushing the system is something that could be done at home probably have to take it somewhere ill pop it off and check tomorrow i hope its not the switch cause its like $280 cause of the heated mirrors

Old 03-19-2012, 09:55 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

Originally Posted by clarke83
im not sure flushing the system is something that could be done at home probably have to take it somewhere ill pop it off and check tomorrow i hope its not the switch cause its like $280 cause of the heated mirrors
thats a pretty nasty bill.

but i think you can buy a flush kit. i think it just consists of an air-blow gun type nozzle and a can of some flushing solvent. northern tool & equipment sells the hose and nozzle but im not sure where to get the flush solvent

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5951_200355951

Old 03-19-2012, 10:03 PM
clarke83

Thanks I might have to invest in that It just stumps me that it blows hot not even a little cold lol

Old 03-19-2012, 10:06 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

Originally Posted by clarke83
Thanks I might have to invest in that It just stumps me that it blows hot not even a little cold lol
yea, im not to sure on that. i would just try a flush and see if there are any obvious broken parts and go from there.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:08 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before you recharged the 134a, did you pull a vacuum on the ac system?

There is only one thing that caused the lines to freeze up. Not enough refrigerant in the system.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

The temp control **** on your truck is electrical in nature. Not mechanical. All it does is vary a voltage signal, and then a little servo motor down on the bottom of the heater box moves the blend door, which is what actually determines if the air goes thru the heater core, or the evap core. They are notorious for having issues, as there is a little plastic coupler between the motor, and the axle for the blend door, that breaks..... so the door doesn't move, and sometimes, even if it does move a bit, turning on the fan will cause it to shut again, and usually in the wrong direction.

The servo motor is right above the tunnel on the passenger side. Has an electrical connection going to it, and is held in by two screws. The back one can be a real pain to get to..... Check out heatertreater.net (.com? something...) they have the fix, and a better explanation.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:18 PM
clarke83

no i did not pull a vacuum i checked the system it was empty i know that there is something that wont let a/c compressor turn on if its to low on R134a so i turned it on high and full blast and filled it up until was at 35psi which is in the center of full on the guage the compressor and clutch didnt start moving untill about halfway through charging what do you mean by pull a vacuum

Old 03-19-2012, 10:24 PM
clarke83

HeyYou so am i supposed to hear a noise when i move the temp control **** i hear all kind of noises going from defrost to floor or vents to floor etc. they all work fine so that door directs the are am i going to have to pull the dash

Quick Reply: 2000 ram a/c issue help