2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission VIN Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 08:19 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasBoy
Hey guys, Im resurrecting this thread because Im trying to determine the year-built of this transmission I have. I already know its a 46RE. This transmission is in a '99 model Dodge 2500 2WD truck with the 5.9 Magnum engine.

The reason for this post is that upon taking down the trans-pan, the valve body transducer is the black/square type that is typically seen on 2000-and-up 46RE transmission. The '96-thru-'99 transducer is round and has a different connector on it. So Im trying to figure out how it is that this '99 model truck came to have a >=2000 transducer in it.

I sent the VIN to that online Dodge Support site and they replied with the Build Sheet listing and confirmed that truck indeed was built with the 46RE from the factory. But what Im trying to determine now, is if the transmission that is in the truck now was a newer replacement, or is it only a newer valve body.

Thank you for any info you guys can share.

Originally Posted by mmerlinn
Here is where the OP said his was a 1996.
This is the truck I was referring to.......

Old 06-10-2016, 07:42 AM
mmerlinn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasBoy

Oh, BTW I called my local dealer and they said that casting number is a "package" or part number and has no bearing on when the trans was built. So much for getting an answer from a dealership, and when I tried to explain the "10,000 Day" thing they acted like I was crazy and "Ive been a Parts Manager for 16 years and never heard of such a thing."
Two issues here.

First, the Germans discontinued the Chrysler 10000-day date system soon after the merger in 1998. This manager therefore NEVER worked for Chrysler when Chrysler was using this system (2016 - 16 = 2000), so it is completely reasonable that he is ignorant about it. Of course, just because one is ignorant does not change the facts. Witness the Flat Earth beliefs centuries ago.

Second, that is not a casting number. Casting numbers are cast into the casting when the part is made and usually are used for years, often decades, unchanged. Numbers added AFTER the casting was cast are never casting numbers. Casting numbers on Chrysler cases are typically 3 digits long before the merger and 3 digits and 2 letters long after the merger, although the old numbers often overlapped for years.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:16 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Casting numbers are cast into the casting when the part is made and usually are used for years, often decades, unchanged.
That is the case if nothing changed in the casting. The transmission castings changed almost yearly due to the speed sensor locations etc. Texasboy posted this same question on another forum i'm on. Look for the year casting on the transmission housing(may be on the valve body also) It's a the last two digits of the year with a circle around it. Small pic but you can see it is from 2002(02).

Old 06-11-2016, 11:54 AM
pure adrenaline
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Odd, reading back thru the thread a page or so, he states its a 99.
trying to research when I posted this I have owned a 96 and 2000 model truck. (EDIT) My original post was referring to a transmission I owned after selling my 1996 2wd Ram. It would have been the original transmission for that 96 truck. Before selling it I purchased a year 2000 2wd Ram truck which eventually also had transmission problems similar to what is described by another member in this thread where the OD doesn't work and the temperature was off. My problem was related to putting a 1999 transmission into a 2000 year truck. Swapping the electronics fixed that issue and I still own and drive that 2000 truck.

Last edited by pure adrenaline; 06-11-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:34 PM
mmerlinn

Originally Posted by Moparite
That is the case if nothing changed in the casting. The transmission castings changed almost yearly due to the speed sensor locations etc. Texasboy posted this same question on another forum i'm on. Look for the year casting on the transmission housing(may be on the valve body also) It's a the last two digits of the year with a circle around it. Small pic but you can see it is from 2002(02).
To a large degree, you are absolutely correct, but not always. For example, let us examine case casting numbers relating to the Dodge Diesel 4-speed Automatic Overdrive transmissions from 1992 through 2007. These transmissions were variously designated as A618, 47RH, 47RE, and 48RE. Overall they are the same transmission with various minor changes over the years. All of them use either a 238 or 238AB casting number. I have never found a difference between the 238 and 238AB, so whatever the difference is, it is very minor, so minor that I ignore the difference when selling a used case. So, for all practical purposes the casting numbers 238 and 238AB are the same when all the variations match.

Here is a list of known variations in cases with the 238/238AB casting number,

1) 1992-1995 A618/47RH
0.940" bore for electrical plug
Threads for neutral safety switch
No bosses above shift levers
Always 238 casting number
Currently worth about $150 used
#2 & #3 below will fit by using rubber adapter supplied by Chrysler in plug bore

2) 1996-1998 47RE
1.100" bore for electrical plug
Usually but not always a 238 casting number
#3 below fits

3) 1998-2002 47RE
Usually but not always a 238AB casting number
#2 above fits

4) 2003 only 48RE
NO threads for neutral safety switch
Believed to always be a 238AB casting number - Have not seen enough to be sure yet
Currently worth about $500 used
#5 below will fit by not using cannister bosses

5) 2004-2007 48RE
No threads for neutral safety switch
2 threaded bosses above shift levers
Believed to always be a 238AB casting number - Have not seen enough to be sure yet
Currently worth about $800 used
Nothing else fits

In addition to the above variations, there is a boss on the side of the bell that is sometimes threaded and sometimes not threaded. No clue why the difference there. I just sell the cases with threaded bosses unless the I know that the customer does not need it. If the customer does need it and gets an unthreaded case, he can always thread it himself.

Except for #5, all of the cases appear to be identical, just machined differently. #5 has 2 added bosses, but for some unknown reason the casting number remained the same, which is really odd.

List of known case varieties for this series of transmissions:
http://mmerlinn.com/catalog/gbeezy1/...10.htm#default

Undoubtedly, this list is incomplete.

Last edited by mmerlinn; 06-11-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:59 PM
G00SE

Originally Posted by pure adrenaline
trying to research when I posted this I have owned a 96 and 2000 model truck. (EDIT) My original post was referring to a transmission I owned after selling my 1996 2wd Ram. It would have been the original transmission for that 96 truck. Before selling it I purchased a year 2000 2wd Ram truck which eventually also had transmission problems similar to what is described by another member in this thread where the OD doesn't work and the temperature was off. My problem was related to putting a 1999 transmission into a 2000 year truck. Swapping the electronics fixed that issue and I still own and drive that 2000 truck.
I think I might be having this issues on my Durango. What electronics did you change?

Old 09-22-2016, 10:53 AM
pure adrenaline
Rookie

Originally Posted by G00SE
I think I might be having this issues on my Durango. What electronics did you change?
replaced the governor solenoid and pressure transducer. Sorry for my delay

Old 11-25-2017, 09:38 AM
rrrcoo
Default New guy here

ok glad you all understand these codes so i am asking for help here. My transmission shows PK53007786 0785 9176 can you tell me what model and info that is? Its in a 91 W250 auto with a 360. Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: Transmission VIN Challenge