2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

"Here's where we are at"

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 12:44 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

if you are preparing for solar flares wtf would you mess around with a automatic transmission? you can bump start a standard transmission if your battery dies or are you going to make some type of hand crank start system?

Old 03-22-2012, 09:58 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I dont think the OP is preparing for the end of the world.... I am really curious what his reasoning behind pulling out the fuel injection and going to an analog carb system with no computer is though...kidding aside

Old 03-22-2012, 10:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Let's not forget the ignition system, fuel pump, voltage regulator, air conditioning, and a few other things are also controlled by the PCM....... a carb conversion on one of these isn't gonna be a walk in the park.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:28 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

the ignition system is easy. you just need one of these. voltage regulator is not that hard to hook up. just need a fuel pressure regulator on the fuel pump.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:35 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
the ignition system is easy. you just need one of these. voltage regulator is not that hard to hook up. just need a fuel pressure regulator on the fuel pump.
but WHY is the question? when its alll said and done and after all thet work you are left with an inferior carbed vehicle thats going to be less reliable and efficient?
Its not like the fuel injection system is a weak point in this vehicle... It isnt TBI injection...

Old 03-22-2012, 11:43 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i also wouldn't mind knowing why?

you can't say it is less reliable. carbs have been around long enough and have proved themselves to be just as reliable as EFI and can be easily be fixed by by a backyard mechanic. most EFI system on the other hand can be a nightmare to fix with out all those special tools. now you are right that carbs may not be as efficient as EFI but in some cases they get close.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:25 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
i also wouldn't mind knowing why?

you can't say it is less reliable. carbs have been around long enough and have proved themselves to be just as reliable as EFI and can be easily be fixed by by a backyard mechanic. most EFI system on the other hand can be a nightmare to fix with out all those special tools. now you are right that carbs may not be as efficient as EFI but in some cases they get close.
I have both and carbs do not sit well especially with todays gas.... if you drove it every day perhaps it would be fine My bike has had to have the carbs pulled apart and cleaned twice in the last few years and I also had to purchase and rebuild replacement dellorto carbs for my vw.... my vette fires right up...even after sitting half the year.
I also dont think troubleshooting a FI issue is rocket science... I've been messing around with trying different size injectors in mine and thanks to the 02 sensor and computer its actually easier to get things in tune.... or to know if somethings wrong... In any case it will be a lot more complicating and involve a lot of work to convert a 2nd gen ram to perform like something from the 70's

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 03-22-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Iggy07
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Here's were we are at"

Good Morning
I am honored by all the replies, and opinions of all. Thank you for the interest, so keep them coming. Some good stuff here.
Yes i am a baby boomer, and grew up in so. Calif. and my ride then was a 350 CID 56 black Chevy and it got down the road very well. also am a VW builder, put a couple nice HP vdubbs together. but this build is backwards i know, but have done some homework on this and all your post have valid statements.
am also a hyd. designer and have dappled in avionics on helicopters, there are ways around the CPU, anyway, is a project for me and i love a challenge. there are only couple items (sensors) that wont be hooked up due to a carb set up, but with the help of my aviation avionics peeps, we can adjust.
So my mopar friends, keep them cards and letters coming........

Old 03-23-2012, 10:15 AM
kadetklapp
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm an EMP wary guy, but really, so much stuff is electronic on this truck that just switching to a carb'd setup isn't going to help. IF EMP knocks out the motor, your trans, fuel pump, alternator, etc is shot anyway. There is quite a lot of speculation that most vehicles will survive.

*whoops, I'm a derp*