2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2000 Ram 1500 lack of power. need help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 04:55 PM
PapaG
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steffenaj14
does the cat make it louder at all? i gutted the resonator, cat, and another resonator on my last car (2003 mazdaspeed protege) and it got to be annoying at times. thats a four banger ricer though. could get used to the rumble of a nice v8
I didnt notice any increase in exhaust noise at all. And thats with the original stock muffler. It will make it throw an O2 code but the non- fouler trick may help with that. I will probably end up putting a high flow cat back in when I redo the exhaust but for now the gutted cat is fine.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Steffenaj14
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i did the same non fouler trick with my protege. but as far as the plenum fix can someone point me to a good how to? i found the one in the plenum sticky but i can't see the pictures. and i learn by seeing and doing. not by reading. especially cause i'm young and not experienced so when someone rights down do this, this, and that i usually have no idea what they mean till i see it done.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Here's one with pics. There are also video's on YouTube.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Steffenaj14
Rookie

hey you, heyyou.. thanks for that link! i found a couple more after some more research. but is this okay for a rookie who hasn't done any mechanical work other than changing oil and brakes? i have a few knowledgeable people that are there to help just in case. and i know how to use a wrench if you know what i mean just not too experienced.

Originally Posted by PapaG
I gutted my cat last month and did notice a little improvement in power (mine was slightly cloggeg) but changed the plenum and timing chain/gears this week and noticed an immediate improvement in power/acceleration. Huge difference!
what timing chain/gears did you get? what does everyone reccomend?

also since you mentioned changing time chain and gears what else would be a good "tune up" part to change or replace while i'm in there. i've read how to's where they change the valve cover gaskets since you got everything off, spark plugs, wires, dist cap and rotor. what else would be good to change/do?

Last edited by Steffenaj14; 03-23-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:40 PM
PapaG
Veteran

I got the SA gears myself. Seem like a good quality part to me. As far as what else to do, I did the plenum, timing, and water pump, injector o-rings, and oil change. I was planning on doing new valve covers & gaskets, and oil pan gasket, rear main seal and oil pump but just didnt have the time. That will get done in the next couple of weeks.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:42 PM
PapaG
Veteran

Oh yeah, spark plugs, wires, rotor button, and dist cap are a good idea. I changed all of those about a week before I did the plenum.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

If you have some experience, even if it is just changing oil and such, you can do this. Just take your time, don't be in a hurry, take pics of where things go, or label them, whichever works best for you. Having a friend that has some knowledge helps too, if nothing else, just having some company while you play makes the job easier.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:07 PM
chadhager03
Captain

I had pratically no mechanical experience before doing my plenum and I did it in three days, but that was waking up at 10 working on it till 2 then calling it a day lol

Old 03-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Steffenaj14
Rookie

well that's another thing.. i'm pretty busy. my typical day consists of working 9 to 5 mon wed fri. and going to school 9 to 12 then work 1230 to 5 tue thurs. lol. so after all that i'd have to come home, work on it from 6 to 10 for a couple days straight. so i'd NEED another means of transportation. oh and heyyou.. by having company do you mean some beer? lol no i talked to my buddy about helping me. he's got the same amount of experience as me. maybe a little more. but he's just scared to help me jump in there then get stuck on something or break something and me be out of a truck for a week or two. which i'm scared of that too. its my main/only means of getting to school/work/everywhere for now. maybe about time my next oil change is due my bike will be running(1984 handa shadow vt500) so i can ride that everywhere.

one can only hope...

Old 03-23-2012, 05:17 PM
PapaG
Veteran

Honesly it's a fairly straightforward job. Like HeyYou said, if you make sure you take pics to know where everything goes back you should be fine. Just take your time and don't rush anything. It's not bad at all. And as far as breaking anything I got lucky and only had one intake bolt break. Snapped at the head so it wasnt any problem to remove with vice grips. I did find that "tapping" the end of the ratchet to break the bolts loose works better than constant pressure.

Quick Reply: 2000 Ram 1500 lack of power. need help!