2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to make my Ram Steer

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012 | 01:09 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by atc250r
Wow!!! This Borgeson box and shaft look to be very high quality. Likely going to do the install this week. I know these 2nd Gen Rams require Power Steering Fluid as opposed to ATF, but what is a good, recommended brand? Mopar, Prestone, etc?

I would like to put Amsoil PSF in it, but my dealer is over an hours drive from here, so I'll replace the current fluid with whatever you guys recommend, then probably change again to Amsoil in fall time. I'm in Canada so I like the Amsoil synthetic for winter. But what should I use for the mean time?
Did you ever confirm that was the problem? because it could be caused by multiple things...

I had to replace my steering shaft with a hd lift one and also found the the pitman arm had side to side movement from the torques on it causing it to be sloppy... I bought one of those pitman bar steering stabilizers and found a lot of it was just from a worn out track bar.... you could see it plain as day by having someone turn the wheel left to right very slow...
the fluid isnst going to prevent the same thing from happening again... thats what the hd units and stabilizer brackets are for...

Old 04-16-2012 | 01:37 PM
atc250r
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
Did you ever confirm that was the problem?
Yes I did

Old 05-21-2012 | 08:14 PM
atc250r
|
Veteran

Well today I finally got around to installing the new Borgeson box and shaft. And I am very pleased with the entire package. Very high quality and very good instructions. "Dodge Off Road" was very good to buy from. The truck drives better than brand new now, so I am very happy. I highly recommend this product to anyone. I first flushed the ps system with Amsoil synthetic PS Fluid. My steering is tighter, than ever, and much less steering effort is required. Toughest part of the job by far was removing the pitman arm from the old box. I had been spraying it with Kroil for 3 weeks, and it still took the heat of an oxy/acetylene torch and wedges and a large hammer to get it off.

Old 05-21-2012 | 08:59 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by atc250r
Well today I finally got around to installing the new Borgeson box and shaft. And I am very pleased with the entire package. Very high quality and very good instructions. "Dodge Off Road" was very good to buy from. The truck drives better than brand new now, so I am very happy. I highly recommend this product to anyone. I first flushed the ps system with Amsoil synthetic PS Fluid. My steering is tighter, than ever, and much less steering effort is required. Toughest part of the job by far was removing the pitman arm from the old box. I had been spraying it with Kroil for 3 weeks, and it still took the heat of an oxy/acetylene torch and wedges and a large hammer to get it off.
I never could get my pitman arm off. That's the tightest damn fit I've ever dealt with. Broke three pullers trying to remove it. Finally just got rid of the box with the arm still attached, and just bought a new box/arm. Too bad I didn't get the Borgeson

Old 05-22-2012 | 05:58 PM
johnnyjaws98
Veteran

also get a steering box stablizer and a rock solid steering colum bushing

Old 05-23-2012 | 09:01 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by johnnyjaws98
also get a steering box stablizer and a rock solid steering colum bushing
the steering box stabilizer is an alternative to the heavy duty box... it prevents side wear to the pitman arm shaft and basically strengthens the stock box and prevents them from wearing the way they normally would wear... I'm not sure both would be necessary if it fits.

Old 05-23-2012 | 09:41 AM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
the steering box stabilizer is an alternative to the heavy duty box... it prevents side wear to the pitman arm shaft and basically strengthens the stock box and prevents them from wearing the way they normally would wear... I'm not sure both would be necessary if it fits.
It prevents frame flex as well. Ties both frames together to strengthen everything. Wouldn't hurt if it does fit.

Old 07-18-2012 | 10:26 PM
VinsBlackRam
Rookie

sorry for starting this old thread back up but i just bought the borgeson steering box and steering shaft and im putting them in this saturday. I have a question for whoever installed these before. It says to adjust the drag link 3/8", ive never did adjustments on these before, how hard is it? and which way would i have to rotate it? or should i just wait to have the techs at work do this after i install everything?

Old 07-18-2012 | 10:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Install everything, and see where your steering wheel winds up. I think the adjustment is just to re-center it.

When you have the shaft out, make sure your steering wheel is secured. (stick the seat belt thru it, and buckle it, so it won't turn.) If it turns too far, it will take out the clock spring, and your cruise and horn will stop working, along with the air bag.

Old 07-28-2012 | 07:36 PM
Dodge Off Road

Originally Posted by EndIsNear
It prevents frame flex as well. Ties both frames together to strengthen everything. Wouldn't hurt if it does fit.
Sorry, but four 7/16" bolts and a piece of 3/16" wall 2"x2" square tube aren't going to keep a 6,500 lb truck from flexing the frame. Everyone claims the steering brace helps but it actually hurts. Any of them that bolt to both frame rails are putting that frame flex movement right onto your steering box, which is a huge reason people still have problems after installing the brace. On 2nd gens the frame flexes enough to push the sector shaft almost 1/2" !! It doesn't sound like much but when the box is designed to not move laterally at all, you will have problems. Your steering feels tight because of the bearing but you will gradually get more and more slop in the wheel. Since it happens a little at a time, it's harder to notice until one day you replace the box or bearing. Many people have developed leaks from the box and some have snapped the sector shaft right off. Me personally, I went through 2 boxes and finally ended up with hydro assist before I figured out what was going on. I also had cracked a headlight housing and dented my fender when the Road Armor bumper hit the body during an off roading trip - the other side of the bumper had a good 2" gap between the bumper and headlight. Frame flex cannot be stopped unless you weld several crossmembers between the rails and also box in the frame. The C channel frames always flex. Look at old GM trucks.

There is only one steering brace that doesn't have this issue because it's totally different than all of the others (which are just copies of the DSS brace). The DOR brace bolts to one side of the frame only while also using a skid plate to protect the steering box. It solves the frame flex problem while protecting your expensive steering box and hydraulic lines.

Quick Reply: How to make my Ram Steer