2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

this is what i found in the trans pan

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 01:00 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
Here's an interesting article on the subject....
http://www.allpar.com/forums/topic/1...nd-dex3merc-v/
I gotta admit that I've been communing with Jack Daniel and so only read the first few posts in that discussion thread, but: Shear gets to be mighty damned significant when you hang an overdrive unit off the back of an automatic transmission.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:20 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Remote filter won't hurt anything. Cleaner fluid is NOT a bad thing. Just keep the filter changed on a regular basis.
Yeah, what that old guy said.

I've been running remote filters for decades and never had a problem because of one. I change them out every 24,000 miles or so, but wouldn't hesitate to go closer to 50,000 if I was stone cold broke for an extended period. The filter is designed for engine oil, which is of higher viscosity, is subjected to combustion gas and fly ash, and intentionally sucks air from the atmosphere in the PCV system -- your transmission oil doesn't experience these insults. But should you somehow become a moron who neglects the filter, the overpressure bypass will ensure that your transmission doesn't become oil starved.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:31 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Bastard
I also have a remote filter for my truck but have yet to install it due to conflicting reports.........I have heard that a remote filter reduces flow through the transmission and can cause issues???
i can report that there is no reduction in flow - when my cooler line fell off the bottom of the radiator, the transmission pumped the fluid out faster than a stuck pig.

you can test yourself by putting the cooler line in a bucket for a manual flush, or as an experiment, and starting the truck and shifting to neutral (pump doesn't run in park).

Quick Reply: this is what i found in the trans pan