2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

little help with driving lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 07:15 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
somewhere back in time...... someone posted a schematic for doing just such a thing, with relays and such, just used the headlight switch to control the relays...... might wanna try and find that.

One of the reasons for the above is, having the lights powered directly from that battery, and grounded nearby, ALSO has the side affect of making the lights brighter.
I think I even remember looking at it. Thanks!

OP, sorry to hijack your thread.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:28 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

if your truck does not have headlights that are on relays it would be a smart upgrade. i know on my 81 there was a noticeable difference even tho it was not that big. there was a .6v drop between the battery and the connector at the light with the truck off. i would guess with the truck running there might be a .7v drop.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:48 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Maybe this is what you were thinking of? https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...igh-beams.html

Old 04-07-2012, 07:53 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
Maybe this is what you were thinking of? https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...igh-beams.html
I see that was for Fog and High's. Will that work for Low's and High's?

Old 04-07-2012, 08:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Same basic idea...... The headlight switch grounds the headlight circuit, just use that for the ground side of the relay control, and have the low beam relay also grounded via the high beam ground. Both lights on at the same time. (though, I gotta wonder if that would make it IMPOSSIBLE to turn off the high beams.....

Old 04-07-2012, 08:07 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

are you sure an actual DIY was made. with a bit of common sense and a little understanding on how a relay works it would not be hard to make your low beams come on when you highs are on. i could see this only needing 1 relay that is powered when the high beams are turned on but if the headlights are not on relays it might be a wise idea to use 3 and put the high and low beams on relays.
or you could just buy a bright box. costs more but i am guessing it is plug and play.
http://www.genosgarage.com/products.asp?dept=9

Quick Reply: little help with driving lights