2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram 1500 360 vs Durango 360.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sooper
Okay, so as far as programming, my options are a Jet chip that might not last very long...a used Superchip that might be useless, or a high quality high cost custom tune for my truck's ECU.

Can someone elaborate more on the Superchip? I like that it 'can' be bought used but I am unfamiliar with it. Is it a programmer or a plug and play chip add on?

Thanks guys.
you have lots of options.... superchips or sct are the favs around here... dont expect miracles but most can feel a good improvement it the power dept.... superchips can manipulate tranny behavior a bit which helps but if you speedo is off so is your gearing and fixing that with a tuner is just a bandaid to try to cover up more things like the power loss and extra load your putting on things with bigger tires...

If you do have bigger tires like 33 or 35's your gonna get way better results replacing the gears to match the tire size to bring loads on the drivetrain back to stock levels than any tuner can do for you...

If not I would go with the sct... keep in mind the best tune for real power improvement is the 93 octane tune which of course requires higher octane gas and more $$ at the pump...

in my opinion 1.7 roller rockers are a more sound investment and improvement averaging 14hp gains on our trucks..... The most I've seen a tuner do on magnum dyno graphs is 7hp believe it or not...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 04-19-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
If you do have bigger tires like 33 or 35's your gonna get way better results replacing the gears to match the tire size to bring loads on the drivetrain back to stock levels than any tuner can do for you...

If not I would go with the sct... keep in mind the best tune for real power improvement is the 93 octane tune which of course requires higher octane gas and more $$ at the pump...

in my opinion 1.7 roller rockers are a more sound investment and improvement averaging 14hp gains on our trucks..... The most I've seen a tuner do on magnum dyno graphs is 7hp believe it or not...

Good info. Still has stock tires and rims. At the most, if I change, the increase in size won't be much.

I don't want a tune that will require anything but 87.

I'm intrigued by the 1.7 ratio rocker option. The engine in this truck is completely stock. Is there an affordable brand to look for that's still got some quality and value?

Old 04-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sooper
Good info. Still has stock tires and rims. At the most, if I change, the increase in size won't be much.

I don't want a tune that will require anything but 87.

I'm intrigued by the 1.7 ratio rocker option. The engine in this truck is completely stock. Is there an affordable brand to look for that's still got some quality and value?
I think there is only one company that makes them specifically for dodge magnums .. Harland sharp? I'm not sure if I got that right hopefully someone else will chime in... the rest are actually made for fords and require modifications to fit and work right...they are about the same cost as a tuner...

Old 04-19-2012, 01:05 PM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
I think there is only one company that makes them specifically for dodge magnums .. Harland sharp? I'm not sure if I got that right hopefully someone else will chime in... the rest are actually made for fords and require modifications to fit and work right...they are about the same cost as a tuner...

So, 1.7 ratio rockers would be about the same cost as a tuner, but with more of a performance gain, and my labor to install would be slightly more involved.

I'll search for Harland Sharp and see what I get.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Don't waste money on the Jet chip, or any other device that claims ANY gains at all, with some two-wire scam. It just doesn't work, no matter what the company claims. You would be better off going to the electronics supply store, and picking up a resister for 15 cents, as that is ALL those chips are. (some are variable resistors... with a **** so that you can "tune" for performance, or economy....... still does nothing.)

For your truck, you can get a real programmer. That is the ONLY way to actually increase power/torque from your engine via the PCM. Superchips tuner has a selection of programs, but, they are not as good (reportedly) as the tunes from HemiFever. The SC guys can program for tire size/gear changes though...... which hemifevers' tuners won't do..... would be nice if he could add that feature. (not that it matters on my 96. )

Quick Reply: Ram 1500 360 vs Durango 360.