2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How tough of a job is installing a new oil pump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Ol_RedRam
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How tough of a job is installing a new oil pump?

I know there are thousands of posts about low oil pressure and I searched but couldn't really find anything detailing how tough of a job it is to install a new pump. My Ram is a 1997 1500, 5.9L 4x2.

I changed out the sending unit recently and instead of dropping down to zero like usual, it lingers at around 20-30psi after the engine heats up. Then just drops down just enough for the oil light to kick on.

I'm also hearing a tick and I can't really tell if it's coming from the manifold or from inside the valve covers.

I'm really thinking that the oil pump is on it's way out. Generally, I prefer to do my own mechanical work, but my work environment and access to tools isn't great. I called around and asked for a couple of estimates and it'll cost me around $200 with the installation of a new HV oil pump.

I also asked a friend of mine, who changed the pump on his '98 Ram, and he started talking about lifting the engine and whatnot. My few experiences in changing oil pumps isn't too great. No good memories of it, lol.

And weekend, frontyard mechanics have any insight? I came across a DIY tutorial before, but can't seem to find it again.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:16 PM
chadhager03
Captain

I did it in less than two hours, just don't do it on pavers or any nice driveway, oil gets everywhere! It was very easy and straight forward. My truck is an 01 1500 4x4

Old 04-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't need a high volume pump, it's completely unnecessary for a stock engine.

All you need is a basic socket set. The only hard part is getting the pan out from under the truck, its a pretty tight fit.

http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech-article-31.html

I didn't have to remove anything except the pan, but it's a good write up

Old 04-18-2012, 09:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

For stock motor, the high volume pump may be unnecessary, BUT, on a high mileage motor, where the clearances have opened up some, the HV pump makes up for that, and ya get good pressure, even at idle.

I don't think you need to lift the engine, even on a 4x2.... some creative wiggling may be involved though. All you need is some basic tools, (including rags....) and it can be done in two hours or less. If you are concerned about getting oil on whatever surface you are working on, just throw a large piece of cardboard under the truck.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:57 PM
Ol_RedRam
Amateur

Thanks for the guide, that's the one I was looking for.

Although the engine is bone stock, with the exception of a few bolt-ons, I was thinking about the high volume pump just because my truck is pushing 210,000 miles and I really have no plans to get rid of it anytime soon, so long as she keeps on going. But considering there's a nearly $50 difference in the pricing from Napa, I'm not so sure anymore.

I appreciate it guys. Between the Haynes manual and that walkthrough, I think I can handle it.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:09 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is also a Dodge service manual (and parts manual) for download in the FAQ/DIY section. It will be useful also.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:28 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech-article-31.html

i had to remove the starter, which was a pita. it was torqued super tight and required a long stack of 1/2 drive extensions to get the ratchet out in front of the engine mount or something. 3/8 extensions flexed too much and wouldn't break it loose.

i'd put on a high volume pump, especially since you're already have problems with pressure and probably increasing bearing clearances.

be sure and clean the pickup screen and rotate it into the proper downward position. also be sure and prime the pump by filling it up from the top. i even tested mine in a bucket of old oil by rotating the shaft and seeing it work.

someone had a good tip of holding the oil pan gasket in place by using some fishing line, small string, dental floss, etc to hold the corners in place while twisting it into position. its sort of big and awkward.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:03 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh drew reminded me. What worked best for me on holding the gasket in place was to get those big black paper clips. Put two on each side clamping the gasket down while you're wiggling it around. Just don't forget to remove them before tightening all the bolts down. Worked like a charm for me

Old 04-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Ol_RedRam
Amateur

I hate to say it, and it hurts my pride lol, but I think I'll be putting it in the shop. Seems I won't have time this weekend and the weather is supposed to suck, anyways. And I need it going by Monday.

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

Quick Reply: How tough of a job is installing a new oil pump?