2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

fan clutch assurance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 01:10 PM
bekins01ram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fan clutch assurance.

Sorry to make a new thread, but after searching for a while, maybe didn't use the right key words, I need some assurance. Some days the trucks fan roars, for a long while, and some days it doesn't do it. So I've been researching how to test the fan clutch, on this forum, and others. It seems I can't find a true way to test it, that everyone seems to agree on.

One thing I read was that when cold, I should be able to spin the fan freely by hand, since the fluids in the fan clutch are cold, and let the fan slip, since obviously the engine isn't hot enough to need the fan. After running for a while today, and reaching operating temps, I never really heard the fan start running loudly. Weird how somedays it does it really loud, for the 10 mile drive all the way to work. Other days it doesn't make the sound once. So after getting the engine good and hot, I read that it should be harder to spin the fan by hand, since the fluids in the fan clutch are hot, and should be not let it slip so much. Does this sound right for our trucks. I read a lot of confusing info. today.

Well, I spun my fan before driving, and it spun freely as described, in both directions. I went out for a 5 quart jug of castrol GTX (walmart), a WIX oil filter (o'reillys), and then down to the new Dodge dealership, for a new MOPAR brand PCV valve. 24$ for oil change, and only 10 bucks for the PCV valve. sweet! They wanted 102$ for a new IAC motor though. That'll have to wait, but I'm hoping it'll fix my idle getting hung up at 1k RPM's on occasion.

Anyways, I got back home and the engine had reached operating temps, not overheating or overcooling. I never heard the fan kick in though. Never has overheated, but the fan still spins just as freely in both directions. I'm just wondering if anyone has ran across this, and if I should put a new fan clutch on it. I'd love to go e-fan, but that's gonna have to wait as well. It's just odd, that somedays it roars like an airplane all the way to work, and other days it runs perfectly quiet. Or if anyone has an actual true way to test the fan clutch, because just spinning it seems like a kind of "shade-tree mechanic" way to test it. Sorry for the long post, but I've had 4 cups of coffee and a monster drink this morning already...Time to go work on the truck!!

Old 05-05-2012, 06:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

There is a diagnosis procedure in the 01 service manual... (starts on page 7-56, but, requires a thermometer with an eight inch stem....)

I think for the thermal clutch to actually engage, it has to be up to temp, AND it needs to be spinning........ (centrifugal force makes the fluid do the right tricks...) If you are not overheating, and the engine stays in its proper operating range, I would guess the fan is working...... it's just being strange to keep you guessing.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:13 PM
johnnyjaws98
Veteran

an old timer showed me a way of checking them get a wooden broom handle . with motor running hot stick broom handle in to fan just enough to clip the ends of the fan if clutch is no good fan will stop spinning. ive used this method many times it works

Old 05-05-2012, 07:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

How many brooms ya gone thru?

Old 05-05-2012, 11:01 PM
bekins01ram
Veteran

LOL. That's kind of similar to another thing I read about folks actually grabbing the fan after getting to operating temps, and shutting off, they'd grab the fan (firmly, and confidently) and start the motor. And they'd judge how hard they had to hold it, to tell if it was good or not. I stopped reading somewhere thru that article, cause I will not be sticking my hand in the fan. If it's seized to the pulley or whatnot, it's gonna shred ur hand, lol.

Anyways, you're saying after the engine warms up, stick a broom handle barely into the fan. If the broom handle stops the fan, without much effort, the clutch is bad. And what happens if the clutch is still good?? Guessing it'll smack the broom handle out of the way, and keep on spinning?? Let me know, cause I might try it tomorrow. Just don't wanna screw anything up trying. (Besides the broom handle) :P

I'm making a junkyard trip tomorrow, so I might just grab one off another dodge if I can find one. In other news though, I had an extra manifold, and I did the kegger mod to it today. Got the runners cut down 3/4 of an inch from the tops, put a small notch in the injector holes, to help the fuel spray (pretty sure I read that on this forum), and tomorrow I'm on a hunt to find fuel rails/ lines, thermostat housing, maybe another throttle body to modify, and anything else that's above the kegger, so I can put it all together, and the idea anyways, is to paint this kegger/ parts, and switch it out when I get all the parts/ sensors gathered up. Wish me luck. Not too many 2nd gens in our junkyards around here. Might get lucky though. That's how I got the manifold. I just regret not getting all the rest of the stuff I disconnected from it, when I got it that day.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:51 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The fan clutch does not lock up, if that's what you think. Only different levels of resistance from cold to hot.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:20 AM
nate_9ers
Rookie

I have a question regarding the fan. My fan seems like it is always on from cold to hot. It is the way my truck has always been since I have owned it. I will be at like 2000rpm and my truck sounds like it is at 4000rpm. Could that be something wrong with the fan clutch as well?

Old 05-06-2012, 10:33 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by nate_9ers
I have a question regarding the fan. My fan seems like it is always on from cold to hot. It is the way my truck has always been since I have owned it. I will be at like 2000rpm and my truck sounds like it is at 4000rpm. Could that be something wrong with the fan clutch as well?

The fan does not turn on and off.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:39 AM
nate_9ers
Rookie

Ok my fan seems like it always has max resistance and is always roaring.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:45 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

I guess you need to check it.

Edit: Sorry , I meant to say replace it.

Last edited by zman17; 05-06-2012 at 10:53 AM.

Quick Reply: fan clutch assurance.