2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HVAC - Accumulator

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default HVAC - Accumulator

Per the FSM, this cylinder is the accumulator.

Appears I have it leaking and I've no idea the effects of this.

Name:  IMG_20120506_161201.jpg
Views: 2069
Size:  1.04 MB

Name:  IMG_20120506_161217.jpg
Views: 1484
Size:  1.15 MB

My search on "accumulator" mostly brings up topics on a/c compressor, condenser, and drier. Drier being used interchangeably with the accumulator?

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...placement.html

Does this require replacing (assume I will be using a/c)?

If so, then it's probably good idea to replace heater core as that's been an issue for my in the past. No leaking, just poor heat.

Additionally, I think my blend door just turns and turns and turns. My basis for this is I hear the motor running. I can get heat (low) without turning it on, which means just the heat from circulation is flowing. Turning heater ON, yes heat occurs. I've turned A/C on and it worked fine 2 days ago.

No driving since yesterday, not messed w/o HVAC, and I spot the leak as shown above.

Thanks for shedding some light on this.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:31 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Accumulator and drier are the same thing. That can be replaced without removing the evaporator core (with heater core) but now would be the time to do it. I would also recommend a new orifice (located at the end of the tube at the condenser. AC system will need to have refrigerant removed if there is still any left, a vacuum pulled after installation, and recharged. I just replaced mine last week as my condenser needed to be replaced.

it takes a special tool to remove the connector (after the external clip is removed).

I bought this one with free shipping. If you buy locally, make sure it is the correct one - they show more than one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACDelco-15-1...c7eba5&vxp=mtr

Last edited by gdstock; 05-06-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

If you are going into the dash after the heater core, replace the evap core as well...... you are going to be RIGHT there, and it's a major pain to get in there.... (unless you don't have any dash left.....)

You obviously have a refrigerant leak there.... so, your a/c system is going to get less and less efficient, until it stops working altogether. Give the price of refrigerant...... replacing a couple parts, and evac/recharge ONCE, is going to end up being the cheaper route......

Old 05-07-2012, 11:18 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Very cool Master Gents for the info.

Yeah, the super-fragil-istic dash is about 60% kaput. I also have a sizable crack in the bezel. :[

Any idea what type of oil it is that is leaking out? Should it be collected and disposed properly like engine oil?

I'd probably go and replace all those components: heater core, evap. core, and accumulator. Need A/C in the summer here - 110F easily.

gdstock, thanks for that link. You probably posted about your other parts too, so I'll go lookie around.

Edit: All I found was this post of yours haha: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2775290-post6975.html

Last edited by Wh1t3NuKle; 05-07-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:59 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You need one of these to fix your blend door motor issue most likely. http://www.heatertreater.net/index.html as far as the orifice goes, that requires replacing that whole line on a 2000. And the type of oil is SP-20 PAG.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like everyone said, replace all of the components at once.

As far as the leaking A/C oil -- I've give you a quarter if you lick it

Old 05-07-2012, 04:14 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have any refrigerant left, the oilk will come out when teh refrigerant is removed. If not, the oil is not an issue. When you recharge the system, make sure you add oil or the oil is already in the refrigerant.

It is a special refrigerant rated compressor oil, available at FLAPS for far too mcuh money,as is the refrigerant. Make sure you cahrge through the low pressure side (by drier) and not the high side.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:59 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Originally Posted by zman17
You need one of these to fix your blend door motor issue most likely. http://www.heatertreater.net/index.html as far as the orifice goes, that requires replacing that whole line on a 2000. And the type of oil is SP-20 PAG.
Thanks. I'm missing what "orifice" you are talking about now. Something particular on the 2000 for it, eh?

Originally Posted by gdstock
If you have any refrigerant left, the oilk will come out when teh refrigerant is removed. If not, the oil is not an issue. When you recharge the system, make sure you add oil or the oil is already in the refrigerant.

It is a special refrigerant rated compressor oil, available at FLAPS for far too mcuh money,as is the refrigerant. Make sure you cahrge through the low pressure side (by drier) and not the high side.

Roger that. I saw your post with the pictures. Thanks

Old 05-09-2012, 08:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

There is an orifice tube IN the high pressure a/c line, that limits flow. as the refrigerant passes thru it, it goes from high pressure, to low, shedding energy, thus, cooling off tremendously, as it enters the evap core. If the orifice tube gets clogged, a/c efficiency suffers. On some, you can replace JUST the tube, on others, you have to replace the entire line.....

Old 05-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Default Replaced

Ok, well I don't have the schmancy freon evacuator and recharging setup like Master Gdstock-inator, so I took the beast in to get a quote on just replacing the accumulator.

Opened the hood up and as we were talking, the accumulator just started foaming at the mouth. Freon and PAG just coming right out and felt like it was just gonna blooow, so we shut the hood. At this point, we had do idea how much might have been lost. So, not having the necessary tools nor the time to do this....I caved and had them do it.

All done just short of a couple bills.

$30 for the accumulator
$60 for evac/recharge
$20 for freon @$40/lb, lost 0.5 lbs.
$10 for PAG
$90 labor

Foaming puddle on the ground before starting to capture with a cup.

Name:  IMG_20120509_122832.jpg
Views: 1039
Size:  1.76 MB

The pin hole

Name:  IMG_20120510_075833.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  984.1 KB

The AL replacement

Name:  IMG_20120510_082925.jpg
Views: 1785
Size:  1.04 MB

So this should give anyone out there looking at this some idea of the cost.

ps. My fan clutch is broke dead. fortunately it was/is going to be replaced with the e-fan setup. sheesh

Quick Reply: HVAC - Accumulator