2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1994 5.9L No spark.. Lots af tracing done, think its PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:03 PM
kurtis500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 5.9L No spark.. Lots af tracing done, think its PCM?

Looking for some of the experts here to help me out.

I have a 1994 dodge 2500 5.9l. It sits with a camper on it and gets out a few times a year. I recently started it 2 months ago and everything was good. I tried 3 days ago and it would crank but NOT fire. I've checked the following

ACD relay and its good as well as the power to the coil.
Changed crankshaft position sensor on a whim hoping it was it...nope
New coil...nope
Checked ignition...good
Opened up PCM and did an ohm measurement to the wires going to the CP sensor (cpk?)..all good
All fuses appear to be fine.
Fuel pressure is in the rails, I just don't have a gauge to show how much, but its there. I tried priming before and nothing.
Pulled a plug, grounded it and cranked it over, no spark..

I did the following test. I hooked up the test light to the GREEN wire to the coil and then to the POS side of the battery. It showed on when ignition was on and cranking. Did the same to the black wire and nothing... I traced the wire back to the PCM plug and it shows good resistance. The crankshaft sensor wire checked out with the 9 volts and 5 volts during cranking. I am at a loss and Im really tracing it back to the PCM. Any ideas??

If I pick up a used PCM for a 94 do I have to get it programmed to work??

Thanks everyone

Old 05-07-2012, 10:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

94 PCM is prug and pray. No programming involved. (mainly because, you can't......)

Dark Green/Orange wire at coil, should have 12 volts with ignition on (for about three seconds....) and when actually cranking the engine.

Black/Gray wire is ground. Controlled by PCM. That one should pulse your test light if one end is on the positive terminal of the battery.

Are you getting injector pulse? Do you continue to get power at the coil after three seconds while cranking?

Old 05-08-2012, 01:33 AM
kurtis500

I haven't pulled an injector and checked the pulse there. I assume that can be done with a light or multimeter or do I need the special strobe tool for that?

Right now I get nothing at all from the black wire. Ive tried the test light hooked to both ground and positive just for the sake of trying.

I noticed the crank position sensor was a little different from the original. It had a metal bracket instead of the plastic one but it seemed everything matched-up on length on hole location. So far thats the only thing thats changed. Ive read the wire resistances from the plugs to their respective locations and haven't found a bad wire yet. I just want to be sure before i really do replace the PCM. I would HATE to switch it out and have the same problem.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Does the fuel pump run while the engine is cranking? Do you still have power at the coil while cranking?

Old 05-08-2012, 12:30 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd check the cap and rotor too, if for nothing else then just to eliminate it as a problem. Also make sure the ground wire(s) are not broken from firewall to back of head.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:59 AM
kurtis500

Yes, there is still power to the coil when cranking. Although the negative side has nothing, its the green side with the power.

Havent checked the cap and rotor yet, ill do that. I replaced the ground wire contact already just incase...

Thanks guys. Anymore suggestions??

Old 05-09-2012, 05:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Check resistance across the terminals on the coil.....

Quick Reply: 1994 5.9L No spark.. Lots af tracing done, think its PCM?