2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge Ram 5.9 turbo or blower

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Dodge360mag
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Ram 5.9 turbo or blower

I was wondering if there was a turbo i could buy that was for a dodge ram 1500. That wouldn't be to hard to hook up and not a ton of money. Just a small one. I would prefer this since it is cheaper. But i was also wondering if there was a supercharger thatd go on my truck without costing a ton. Also if i do any of this do i have to change any of the other parts on my truck. Will the truck still run fine with all the stock parts except for an intake manifold so the plenum don't leak.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,963 Posts

Either way is going to be expensive. It isn't just the turbo/blower that costs, it's getting the electronics set up so that they can actually run the engine as well. THAT is the expensive part.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a few supercharger kits for Magnum V8s, most or all have been discontinued but they can be found used all the time ($1k-$3K). The only bolt on turbo kits I'm aware of is the PIE single turbo kits and the SDCE twin turbo kit, both will set you back north of $5000.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:22 AM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you didn't mind doing your own fabrication, you could make your own tailpipe turbo setup by getting a turbo off ebay, fabricating the exhaust to hook it up, and use exhaust piping or something similar to plumb the intake tubes back to your air intake.

set the wastegate to like 1-4psi of boost tops, and upgrade your injectors to slightly larger ones. valve train would also need to be addressed, and would have to run premium unleaded from that point forward. ecm might need retuned for a boosted application as well.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Dodge360mag
Rookie

If i got bigger injectors would i have to have the computer reflashed and would i have to run a oil line to the turbo. I was also wondering if I only put 1-4 pounds of boost if thatd even help much. and how much hp would I gain. Could I bump it up if I put in new head gaskets too and a new intake manifold. If i were to do what you said and I did it all myself. How much would it cost me. That is the main hold back. And what do you mean by the ecm being boosted. Can I do that. Also what on the valve train would need to be changed. I don't want to sound dumb but Im 17 and want to be a mechanic and can handle this I just need some guidance. Thanks

Old 05-09-2012, 09:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If you were going to go to all that work......

Replace the heads. Go with some superior gaskets, and head studs.
Yes, the turbo would want an oil line. Doesn't matter how much boost you were running.
ANY amount of boost is going to give you some more power.
Any amount of boost is going to require a custom tune. The stock tune doesn't understand pressures above atmospheric.......
you could use the stock cam/valve train..... you would get better power if you went with a cam designed for boost though.... (about 300-400 bucks.....) new lifters wouldn't be a bad plan for the new cam, another 110 or so.

No matter which way you slice it, you are going to be into this project for a couple grand, at least. Boost is not cheap, nor really easy. Building a naturally aspirated engine is easier, but, doesn't give quite the power gains as forced induction.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Dodge360mag
Rookie
Default Turbo

Im going to go with a small turbo and slightly bigger injectors to run it. I was told by a mchanic that this would work fine because the computer would adjust to this. Im not going to go to all the money of a cam and heads. I will worry about the plenum and head gaskets as they become a problem. So with doing what I said all Ill have to do is plumb it and run an oil line and the injectors. Is there anything else that I will have to do for sure. Do I have to run a gauge or anything to show boost. I know i made it sound simple and I know its not but that is pretty much the basics that I can think of. For a small turbo and injectors I have found them to be about 350 combined. That doesnt include the pipe to plumb it and any other little things that You guys say I absolutely have to do.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I don't think the stock PCM understands boost...... I am not even sure if the stock MAP sensor (manifold absolute pressure) can go above atmospheric pressure. (14.7 psi) I believe the stock MAP is 1 bar. You would need a 2 bar at least, and the programming to make use of it. Otherwise, you would run very lean, and probably blow holes in the pistons.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Dodge360mag
Rookie
Default Turbo

So what exactly would I have to do to get that all worked out. And also if anyone has some pictures to show how they hooked up there turbo thatd be nice. How much would it cost to get the PCM and Map to work for this too.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

*Bangs head against wall*

Look dude, this has been covered many times, the information is out there, go look for it.

I've been there, done that. It isn't cheap, I though I could do it for $1500, it ended up being about twice that.

Your knowledge of turbos and boost in general and our engine computer systems is severely lacking. It's one of those things that if you have to ask, you need to do a lot more reading.

Quick Reply: Dodge Ram 5.9 turbo or blower