2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

engine rattle sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 05:44 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Plenum Plate

Originally Posted by ZeroZero3
Just found the part on ebay looks pretty straight forward. Since I wont start this job a week or two and cant look at it myself is there anything special about the oem plate or its just a flat plate that you can use as a template to cut a new one? Yes I have access to a machine shop.

It is a flat aluminum plate. They are cut with plasma cutter. I bought one here on e-bay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-JEEP-A...4daee0&vxp=mtr

He has gone up few dollars. Still need to get a FelPro gasket set from local auto parts store. Hughes sells the same plate - for more money....

Cat will need replaced probably. Some damage has already likey happened. Also consider changing the timing gears and chain. A double roller set (like this) is better than the OEM Morse chain set. When removing intake, most of the work is already done.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:37 PM
ZeroZero3
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't freak me out with ¨Some damage has already likey happened¨.
Here is the plan: get gaskets, PCV and new bolts from local shops, shop, cut, rebuilt of Cat from my go to exhaust repair shop and get my buddy to cut me plenum a plate for a case of beer. Keg mod is at the bottom of the list due to too stuff on the go right now.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:40 PM
gdstock
Legend

Don't freak me out with ¨Some damage has already likey happened¨.
Here is the plan: get gaskets, PCV and new bolts from local shops, shop, cut, rebuilt of Cat from my go to exhaust repair shop and get my buddy to cut me plenum a plate for a case of beer. Keg mod is at the bottom of the list due to too stuff on the go right now.

Plenum plate for a case of beer? Great price! Will he let you help him drink it - even better!

Old 05-16-2012, 07:06 PM
ZeroZero3
Professional

Originally Posted by gdstock
Plenum plate for a case of beer? Great price! Will he let you help him drink it - even better!
Beer is made to be shared lol

Old 05-16-2012, 07:47 PM
gdstock
Legend

Beer is made to be shared lol

I like your philosophical approach! Eh?

Old 05-28-2012, 12:52 PM
ZeroZero3
Professional

Originally Posted by gdstock
Cat will need replaced probably. Some damage has already likey happened. Also consider changing the timing gears and chain. A double roller set (like this) is better than the OEM Morse chain set. When removing intake, most of the work is already done.
Alright since you got me all worried about having a clog cat I start investigating. I tried the described procedure and I removed the upstream O2 sensor and after a couple up and down on the street I had a hard time to decide if there was any improvement or not, definetly not a huge difference, just a slight improvment on the accelaration.

Anyways, I bought a IR temp. reader to confirm, here's the results, 530F after the cat and 385F forward of it. Can anybody confirm that those readings are in spec?

Old 06-23-2012, 07:31 PM
ZeroZero3
Professional

Update on the project. Due to new baby, house reno, need my truck and my buddy busy like hell at work I bought all the parts to cut on the down time. Timing chain pretty loose, water pump didn't look bad and as been replaced in the past because whoever did it mangled the small rigid line with vise grips to remove it. Broke the two front bolts on the plenum, one is out the next one is for tomorrow. Is it me or these are really getting all the crap and are prone to seize real bad?

I have couple little things that I need to go buy but I would like to know what O rings do you replace on the injectors? Bottom, top or both?

Also, anything else that I can check while I am at this point in the job? Valve train?

Thanks

Old 06-23-2012, 10:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Pulling the water pump? Check the timing chain and gears as well. It's only six more bolts. (and about 20 bucks in gaskets.) If it's sloppy, replace with a double roller set.

Did you get a new bypass hose? (the little short feller that goes from water pump to intake manifold.)

You can get a new metal tube, complete with O-ring, from the parts store, they are in the help section. (mine rusted out, and the part below the oring fell off..... It didn't seal very well that way.)

Back two, and front two bolts go thru to open air, outside the motor. I think they are 'crud magnets'..... as more crap accumulates there than you would think possible.... I broke both the front ones as well. That was fun.....

Old 06-23-2012, 10:39 PM
ZeroZero3
Professional

The new chain and gears is installed.

Bolts, I got one with a pair of vise grip, the second one snapped again so I will drill it out tomorrow.

How about the injectors o rings?

Are you the forum guardian or something? You have replied to all my threads and in pretty much every other ones that I read, do you sleep sometimes? lol

Old 06-23-2012, 11:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

I live here.... they have a cot for me in the server room. The chain is long enough to reach the bathroom..... No, I don't have a life.

Actually, I just got back from work around 9ish.... come here to play for a bit, then I am gonna crash...... I DO spend a fair bit of time here though....... Just ask my wife.

Injector O-rings: Just replace the bottom ones if you pull the injectors out of the manifold. You don't actually have to, unless you are swapping manifolds, or, modding it....

Should you decide to remove the fuel rail, hit the end of the injectors you want to pull with some flavor of lubricant before you try and pull them. Them fellers hang on TIGHT.

I had to drill mine out as best I could, and blow the rest out with a torch....... Clean up the threads with a tap, and everything was good.

Sounds like you got a pretty good handle on this job. You are gonna LIKE the way your truck runs when you are done.

Don't forget the tuneup while you have the intake off. It will never be easier.

Quick Reply: engine rattle sound