2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 09:46 AM
billcart
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you replace a compressor you NEED to change out the orifice and the drier/accumulator. If the compressor failed there will be a collection of metal in the orifice tube and will contaminate your new compressor and cause all sorts of problems.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:47 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by billcart
When you replace a compressor you NEED to change out the orifice and the drier/accumulator. If the compressor failed there will be a collection of metal in the orifice tube and will contaminate your new compressor and cause all sorts of problems.
+1...

The only problem I have is , if the compressor is seizing, then why would it un seize after 5 minutes, makes no sense to me? If the compressor turns off after 5 minutes and the belt is squealing, the clutch is suspect. As is for the fact it's still low on 134a and the evap core is shot. I don't know what kind of tests the shop did. And without actually seeing it in person, it's very hard to figure out AC system probs.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:40 PM
DODGEIT105
Rookie

Have the whole system flushed out. And replace the orifice and the drier as well. When a compressor goes bad it can send a bunch of debris throughout the system that is if it is not flushed will take out the new compressor and plug either the evaporator or the condensor or both for that matter. I know a guy who had a Kia that the compressor trashed the whole system. Basically the whole system was replaced except for the blower motor and switch. $1100.00 later his a/c worked. The stealer replaced just the compressor the first time and it trashed out in a day or so and filled the system up with debris.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:38 PM
billcart
Professional

Originally Posted by DODGEIT105
Have the whole system flushed out. And replace the orifice and the drier as well. When a compressor goes bad it can send a bunch of debris throughout the system that is if it is not flushed will take out the new compressor and plug either the evaporator or the condensor or both for that matter. I know a guy who had a Kia that the compressor trashed the whole system. Basically the whole system was replaced except for the blower motor and switch. $1100.00 later his a/c worked. The stealer replaced just the compressor the first time and it trashed out in a day or so and filled the system up with debris.
All you have to say is KIA-Stealership...lol I will never own a KIA again. They offer a really long mileage/time warranty, because they will not do the work. The wife and I had one of those cars and after 8 miles the check engine light came on and luckily the car got stuck in flood waters (no one hurt)and the insurance company totaled it. That was at around 36k. The gas mileage was around 12 miles a gallon. It was a 2003 kia optima 4 banger. What a pos.

Quick Reply: A/C Issues