2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tilt wheel with broke wire

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012 | 06:34 AM
Lone136
|
Veteran
Default Tilt wheel with broke wire

I use my tilt wheel every time I get in the truck, since I have a 6 inch lift it helps to have the wheel out of the way. I was getting into the truck 2 days ago and I put the tilt wheel down like I always do the truck turned off.
Now yesterday it did it again buy not it want start at all. Took it appprt and yes there was a broke RED red. I know it feeds power to the key switch, but after testing it I have no power to it now. I did check the fuse and I can't seem to find one bad. There is a relay the in ( door along with the fuses ) that when you turn the key you can hear it clik. Could that be bad? or is there some where else I should look

I did repair the wire and still no power

Old 05-25-2012 | 11:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Grab the 01 service manual from the FAQ section here, and have a look at the wiring diagrams. Should be able to find where the problem is....... I think the main power feed to the ignition switch comes from the PDC under the hood though, did you check for blown fuses there?

Old 05-25-2012 | 02:54 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Did you check the fuse by the door that has the special black plastic cap ? And fuse #11, it's kind of hidden behind the side of the dash.

Old 05-25-2012 | 05:26 PM
Lone136
|
Veteran

Number 11 fuse shows as being good so the relay your talking about I got a new one today and still No Power

Old 05-25-2012 | 05:35 PM
gdstock
Legend

Trace the red wire from the PDC. You still have a break in there most likely....if said fuses are bad. And just for giggles...disconnect neg battery cable, swaop out ASD relay with another one, reconnect battery, and try again.

Old 05-26-2012 | 08:22 AM
Lone136
|
Veteran

Well, after all the testing and a few hours of time it came down to the wires on the head light switch are lose as well from the tilt wheel. I also had a bad fuse even when it showed it was good with a tester. I replaced the fuses and got the lights to the heads switch back to where they should be and dnow all is well.

Now I can start the install of my Harland Sharp roller rockers that came in yesterday and replace the intake. I suce hope it will run after I'm done with it today if all goes well.

My SCT didn't come in yet, so I hope it will be here Tuesday afternoon. I got a Email saying it had been shipped out as of Wednesday

I haven't started the tear down yet on the intake so I will check back in to seee if there is a problem doing the intake without the SCT so the truck runs right from the start. I don't want to have to hear it from my WIFE that I should just leave it like it is..........LOL

Old 05-26-2012 | 09:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

The truck will run fine without the tuner. It will just run better with it.

Old 05-26-2012 | 12:13 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by Lone136
Well, after all the testing and a few hours of time it came down to the wires on the head light switch are lose as well from the tilt wheel. I also had a bad fuse even when it showed it was good with a tester. I replaced the fuses and got the lights to the heads switch back to where they should be and dnow all is well.

Now I can start the install of my Harland Sharp roller rockers that came in yesterday and replace the intake. I suce hope it will run after I'm done with it today if all goes well.

My SCT didn't come in yet, so I hope it will be here Tuesday afternoon. I got a Email saying it had been shipped out as of Wednesday

I haven't started the tear down yet on the intake so I will check back in to seee if there is a problem doing the intake without the SCT so the truck runs right from the start. I don't want to have to hear it from my WIFE that I should just leave it like it is..........LOL

What fuse was bad?

Old 05-26-2012 | 06:43 PM
gdstock
Legend

Good thing they shipped on Wednesday....they are on vacation now...

You should see it Tuesday I would think.

And +1 on which fuse?

Quick Reply: Tilt wheel with broke wire