2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans service coming up, sensor/solenoid question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012 | 02:49 AM
sarmikgar
|
Professional
Default Trans service coming up, sensor/solenoid question

Getting ready to service my trans in the next week or so, I have the B&M drain plug kit and a couple of Wix filters ready to go.

I need to get some fluid still, but I was also thinking of doing the governor solenoid and sensor while I was in there.. maybe bands too.

Ive been searching and cant find any for sure answer on this, I found the link below in an older thread, and I think it will fit, just wanted to double check since the ad only lists 98-99:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-JEEP-4...527#vi-content

Can anyone tell me if this is the correct parts for my 1996?

Thanks much.

Old 05-26-2012 | 10:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

The electrical connectors may have changed. They also have the listed for other year trucks. Get a set that are indeed for your year....... that way, you KNOW they will work.

Old 05-26-2012 | 11:47 AM
FFFD827
Professional

im putting mine back together today. I got my type 4 fluid from napa. They had the best price for a reliable brand. Dose anyone know the torque specs for the pan i didnt see any in the manual. I have a ft lb and inch lb torque wrenches.

Old 05-26-2012 | 12:05 PM
FFFD827
Professional

I found it. 13ft lbs

Old 05-26-2012 | 12:25 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by sarmikgar
Getting ready to service my trans in the next week or so, I have the B&M drain plug kit and a couple of Wix filters ready to go.

I need to get some fluid still, but I was also thinking of doing the governor solenoid and sensor while I was in there.. maybe bands too.

Ive been searching and cant find any for sure answer on this, I found the link below in an older thread, and I think it will fit, just wanted to double check since the ad only lists 98-99:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-JEEP-4...527#vi-content

Can anyone tell me if this is the correct parts for my 1996?

Thanks much.
The Governor Solenoid is all that really needs replace. And cleaning yours if you are having no problems is just fine. If you are going to replace it anyway, get one of these from a local tranny shop, or order one from PATC or here, http://www.doghousediesel.com/catalog/i307.html . And just for future info, why would you order a part from some place(even though theoretically it might fit?) for something that fits on some vehicle not your year, or make for that matter.

Old 05-26-2012 | 12:54 PM
sarmikgar
|
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The electrical connectors may have changed. They also have the listed for other year trucks. Get a set that are indeed for your year....... that way, you KNOW they will work.
That was my worry that the connector may be different.

Originally Posted by zman17
The Governor Solenoid is all that really needs replace. And cleaning yours if you are having no problems is just fine. If you are going to replace it anyway, get one of these from a local tranny shop, or order one from PATC or here, http://www.doghousediesel.com/catalog/i307.html . And just for future info, why would you order a part from some place(even though theoretically it might fit?) for something that fits on some vehicle not your year, or make for that matter.
Maybe Ill just clean mine up then, just figured while in there Id replace the parts I can.

I find ebay sellers often dont know everything about their parts as far as fitment, and many times will list limited years/models or even the same parts in multiple ads listed for different year/make/model. I wouldnt order till I found out for sure it would fit, thats why I was looking for some confirmation on this great forum. Thank you for the link to an alternative source for the parts.

Last edited by sarmikgar; 05-26-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-26-2012 | 02:49 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by sarmikgar
That was my worry that the connector may be different.

Maybe Ill just clean mine up then, just figured while in there Id replace the parts I can.

I find ebay sellers often dont know everything about their parts as far as fitment, and many times will list limited years/models or even the same parts in multiple ads listed for different year/make/model. I wouldnt order till I found out for sure it would fit, thats why I was looking for some confirmation on this great forum. Thank you for the link to an alternative source for the parts.

Why take the chance? Anyway, since you are doing all the other right stuff, I highly suggest you get the BorgWarner solenoid.

Old 05-26-2012 | 08:48 PM
Jimythefan
All Star

Originally Posted by zman17
..........snip........ http://www.doghousediesel.com/catalog/i307.html.............
Bookmarked, thank's for that link zman.

Old 05-26-2012 | 10:18 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by Jimythefan
Bookmarked, thank's for that link zman.

Want to save $10 AND free shipping? And this guy does know......Same BW part, better price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330602331148...84.m1497.l2649

Old 05-26-2012 | 11:23 PM
sarmikgar
|
Professional

I went ahead and got both parts through the link zman provided, was $145ish with shipping. Going to pick up some fluid, and an extra drain pan tomorrow so I am ready to do the job when they get here.

Ive been searching(there is ALOT of posts with "drain plug" in them), but cant find any info on where to drill for the drain plug.

Is there an optimal spot for me to put it?

Quick Reply: Trans service coming up, sensor/solenoid question