2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

trouble with 2000 dodge ram 1500 5.2 v8

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 06:47 PM
patoman_12
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trouble with 2000 dodge ram 1500 5.2 v8

hi im new to the forum...im having trouble with my 2000 dodge ram 1500 5.2 v8...a year ago my truk used to shut down and not start again for like 30 min, my odometer would read no bus.. so after researching i found out it was my computer so i replaced tat and after tat my truck no guts at all.. so the first think i tought was that my transmission gave out..i payed 1000 for it to get fixed and had to get my computer replaces cuz the transmission wasnt shifting....so i replaced it and den i took it out of the shop and found out that the transmission was and older one from a 96-97 ram and wasnt shifting into 4 gear (overdrive)....after a few months of driving like that me and my uncle took out the engine and transmission and rebuild dem but still it wasnt shifting into 4 gear and engine had no guts...i have to push down da pedal for it to barely hit 60..when i give it gas u can hear a squeky sound of the engine and wen its cold and i started u can hear loud breathing coming of it..i replaced tps and aic valve, cut off catalyser but still sometimes i have problems to turn it on and its throwing a code p1391..can someone please help its my only form of transportation and dont have money to get another car or truck......

Old 05-29-2012, 06:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

Engine rebuilt once, and trans twice, and you are still having issues? Not to mention the second replacement PCM..... (and probably has the death flash.) For the money you have spent rebuilding things that probably didn't need it.... you could have bought another truck.

In any event.... Did you do anything with the plenum while you had the engine apart? (see stickied plenum thread at the top of this forum....)

Is it gutless right away, or, only after warming up a bit?

Old 05-29-2012, 07:03 PM
patoman_12

the only reason i dont sell it because of the time i have spent on it and money...i know tat engine has alot of power even though its a 5.2 but for some reason its not working right and it wastes alot of gas man i dont kno what to do anymore...i didnt replaced plenum gasket...and what do u mean by death flash!? its gutless when its cold and hot it doesnt matter...

Old 05-29-2012, 07:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Plenum gasket is a very good vacuum leak. Exactly what you don't want.

Death flash was Dodge's brilliant idea for controlling spark knock. Cuts back timing... and thus, power. May be able to get some back with an SCT tuner from Hemifever. (hemifevertuning.com)

Have you had fuel sync reset?

If it is running really rich... have a look at the engine temp sensor. (does your gauge read correctly?)

Old 05-29-2012, 07:32 PM
patoman_12

whats the sign of a bad plenum gasket?? half of the stuff ur asking me i dont comply or understand man? what fuel sync reset? running rich? death flash>? sorry for all these questions man

Old 05-29-2012, 07:44 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Plenum: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/286307-end-all-be-all-plenum-thread.html

Fuel sync is with the distributer. Turning the dizzy does NOT change timing.

Timing is controled by the ECU. The ECU has to be reprogramed to change timing.

Rich=too much fuel
Lean=too little fuel

Death flash: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-faqs-diys-and-how-to-s/239333-what-is-the-death-flash.html

Old 05-29-2012, 07:58 PM
patoman_12

were can i get my ecu reprogrammed its only a month old since i got.. so how do i do the fuel sync reset...and i think my truck is runnin to rich its wasting excessive gas....were can i get the (death flash)

Old 05-29-2012, 08:16 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Fuel sync needs to be set by dealer or mechanic that has the proper tools. Its some kind of scanner type thing.

Death flash: you dont want it. Go to http://www.hemifevertuning.com/Produ...Code=SCT%2DCan and get a canned tune SCT. Itll reprogram the ECU. Cost $265 and you get the tuner and 3 tunes. Sean is very helpful.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:18 PM
patoman_12

how much does the dealer charges for the death flash...what exactly is the fuel sync

Old 05-29-2012, 09:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The dealer is the one that put the death flash on there...... they aren't gonna take it off. Gotta get an aftermarket tuner for that. Hemifever is the accepted "best" around here. 265 for the tuner, and three tunes. (87, 91, and 93 octane tunes... take your pic. )

The magnum engines are sequential fuel injection. What that translates to is: It fires each injector individually at the proper time. Proper time is determined by the cam sensor, which is in the distributor. (also know as: Pickup coil....) So, the relationship between the cam sensor, and the crank sensor, has a VERY narrow margin for error, and if you outside that margin, the engine runs like crap, if it runs at all.....

Quick Reply: trouble with 2000 dodge ram 1500 5.2 v8