2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake pad fitting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 08:04 AM
Brian NY V10
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pad fitting?

I had an issue when the truck pulled to the right hard when braking. I bought it used and figured I needed brakes. Everything was fine but the outer pad (one not pushed) was worn to the steel lining. I called around and bought pads from Federated, only because they asked me a great deal of detailed questions. So I figured they'd know what was best for my truck. Well, the pads don't fit over the rotor...I replaced the inner pad and left the outer as it still had "meat" left. A month later and I still can't install both pads...Too late to return them, but I wondered if anyone had the same problem? I used a screw clamp and removed the brake master cylinder tank cap and pushed the caliper's plunger in as far as it would go. The rotors are used/have mileage. So why don't these pads fit? Thanks...

1994 Ram 2500 8L V10

Old 05-30-2012, 08:26 AM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

First of all you need to take those rotors off and have them turned. Then you may be able to get the new pads on. I use a couple of c-clamps to force both the caliper pistons back into the caliper.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

If one pad is wearing, and the other is not, you have a stuck caliper, and that needs to be addressed as well.

Caliper piston should be able to be pushed back in almost flush with the caliper body. If it doesn't want to go in any further, need to find out why. (it's going to be either a stuck piston, or, a blockage in a line somewhere, usually the soft line to the caliper.)

Old 05-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Brian NY V10
Amateur

The turning of the rotors doesn't make sense. If I were to replace everything with new rotors then the pads still wouldn't fit because it would be fresh metal, the thickness it was designed for. True if I take the time to remove everything being as the rotor is the bearing carrier/hub for this model; they might fit. But I shouldn't have to do that. The pistons are 1/8 of an inch shy of flush when I C clamp them. But that is the same for both sides, indication of normal/full travel. All contact points were filed, wire brushed, and lubed...so I don't think there is any binding issues. I called my local NAPA and the said they had what I needed...Federated asked engine size gross, weight and several questions that made me think they knew the deal...Does anyone else think the pads are wrong? The patterns (steel backing plates) are identical to the old ones...? I don't drive it enough to wear down the new pad (inner) to have the space to install the outer pad before inspection in 2 months. Sucks to be me....but thanks for helping...

Last edited by Brian NY V10; 05-30-2012 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 05-30-2012, 11:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Sounds like you dealt with most potential problems..... Take the pads that you did not install up to the parts store, and compare with something for your truck... see if there is a difference in thickness. sometimes they do fit a bit tight. How much are you off by?

Old 05-30-2012, 05:26 PM
peshewa
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have bought new parts that look identical to the old ones sans the wear & tear, but they would never work. I simply changed the store I bought from & that cleared up the issue for me. Basically, I wont buy from advance auto anymore, I get the right parts fro o'reily's all the time locally. If you took the caliper float pins out, scrubbed off any scale & lubed them, that should cure the original problem if you can make it all fit. I had a similar issue on a mazda 626 years ago, I had to remove the lid on the master cylinder THEN C clamp the pistons in the caliper to make it fit. It made just enough of a difference for me, hopefully it will for you too.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:53 AM
Brian NY V10
Amateur

So close and yet...They start to fit when I slide the caliper/pad unit on but because they can't; the inner pad shifts and wedges when I try to tap it with a small dead blow. Like I stated before; the pads do match up for fit on the caliper, but they are so bloody thick they won't slide on to the old rotors. The first thing I did was remove the master cylinder cover and remove excess fluid before compressing the piston. They both compress to the same so I think these pads are just to damn thick. Hopefully I can grind them down with normal braking before I get the truck inspected...Federated blew me off the other day right in the store and I was the only customer...they can go screw...Advance was never a problem for me, only that they are 20 miles away. I know I have the factory tow package and a V10...but at this point I am stumped. I've changed brakes on many other vehicles and never had tough part fittings like this. I really thank everyone for throwing in to help me figure this out.

P.S. I don't think there was any caliper problems or uneven wear. I bought the truck in February and know I needed to replace some things. The calipers float and slide normally.....thanks again y'all...keep runnin' them Rams!

Last edited by Brian NY V10; 05-31-2012 at 07:10 AM. Reason: added details
Old 05-31-2012, 07:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I have had occasions where the pads fit rather tight.... and it was an exercise to get the calipers back in place. You could try sanding the pads a bit......

Old 05-31-2012, 10:15 AM
Brian NY V10
Amateur

That was my next step. Grind a bit of the inner side where the outer pad rests. I feel like replacing the calipers in the fall so...? I like the idea that certain aftermarket suppliers are different enough to affect a repair. A lot of you mentioned that and I have to believe that it is my main issue. I have owned her only for a few months now and I love this Ram. Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Brake pad fitting?