2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 Rebuild on the cheap: Now Just Empty Every Pocket build.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:52 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

Why Blue?

Old 04-29-2013, 10:20 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't paint the intake at all since aluminum holds heat when painted.
And you want as much heat to come OFF the intake, rather than get trapped inside it.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:41 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
Why Blue?
The right shade of Blue would look good against Hemi Orange and the Silver...

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
I wouldn't paint the intake at all since aluminum holds heat when painted.
And you want as much heat to come OFF the intake, rather than get trapped inside it.
Others have painted it.

If I wasn't lazy when I did my plenum work I would have pulled the fuel rails and painted the kegger... But I'm lazy.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:51 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Man I am sorry I forgot about you! You should have sent me a email giving me S*** for not getting back in touch with you. So I went and looked at what cams I have and well they are in the .550 and up range and one 318 cam.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:52 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by stewie01
The right shade of Blue would look good against Hemi Orange and the Silver...

Others have painted it.

If I wasn't lazy when I did my plenum work I would have pulled the fuel rails and painted the kegger... But I'm lazy.
And paint doesn't allow heat to exit all that well. Aluminum is a really good heat sink, and by painting it, you're trapping heat that you really don't NEED to trap.

And just because others have done something doesn't make it right.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:58 AM
stewie01
Legend

And paint doesn't allow heat to exit all that well. Aluminum is a really good heat sink, and by painting it, you're trapping heat that you really don't NEED to trap.

And just because others have done something doesn't make it right.
Doesn't make it wrong either!

Need to test this, 1 unpainted kegger versus 1 painted kegger, get the motor at a normal temp, see which is hotter, and see if there is a big enough difference to give a damn...

Is it WhiteNuckle that has a painted M1 or is it gdstock with a painted kegger? I can't remember. Maybe one of them (or whoever has one painted) could check temp....

Old 04-29-2013, 11:12 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

Merc,
No worries I figured you didn't find anything and then had gotten busy. I did finally find the info on what springs I have on my heads. They are good for up to a .540 lift so when the time comes I will get a cam. I won't be pulling this engine back down til it is time to build the stroker. First I've got to decide if I'm going 408 or 426????

Stewie,
I did some searches last night online and there are tons of folks who paint their intakes. I too would like to know if painting the intake makes that much difference.

Dude94,
No problem. I was just throwing the idea around. Not saying I will or I won't at this point. Got to do a little more research and thinkin.......................

Old 04-29-2013, 11:16 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by stewie01
Doesn't make it wrong either!

Need to test this, 1 unpainted kegger versus 1 painted kegger, get the motor at a normal temp, see which is hotter, and see if there is a big enough difference to give a damn...

Is it WhiteNuckle that has a painted M1 or is it gdstock with a painted kegger? I can't remember. Maybe one of them (or whoever has one painted) could check temp....
Any difference is enough difference to give a damn!!!

Merc,
No worries I figured you didn't find anything and then had gotten busy. I did finally find the info on what springs I have on my heads. They are good for up to a .540 lift so when the time comes I will get a cam. I won't be pulling this engine back down til it is time to build the stroker. First I've got to decide if I'm going 408 or 426????

Stewie,
I did some searches last night online and there are tons of folks who paint their intakes. I too would like to know if painting the intake makes that much difference.

Dude94,
No problem. I was just throwing the idea around. Not saying I will or I won't at this point. Got to do a little more research and thinkin.......................
Me thinks that if you have an M1 or AirGap, it should be left raw.

Just sayin'....

Old 04-29-2013, 11:41 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Merc,
I still feel bad for forgetting. Busy or not I should have got back to you, the 318 cam would have been a little bump over the 360 cam. Me 426, if you are going to stroke it go big or go home.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:21 PM
stewie01
Legend

Any difference is enough difference to give a damn!!!

The first step every man is supposed to take towards these things is THROWING away the manual!

Quick Reply: 5.9 Rebuild on the cheap: Now Just Empty Every Pocket build.