2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 Rebuild on the cheap: Now Just Empty Every Pocket build.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2023, 06:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,213 Likes on 2,964 Posts

Mic 'em out, see what ya got. Best guess is, just need a hone, unless there is more obvious damage.

Might consider doing a compression test before you yank it though, dry, then wet, see what the numbers do.

The following users liked this post:
Wildman4x4nut (11-20-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 06:47 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 154 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Mic 'em out, see what ya got. Best guess is, just need a hone, unless there is more obvious damage.

Might consider doing a compression test before you yank it though, dry, then wet, see what the numbers do.
Well the good news is that the new injectors I ordered will be here tomorrow or Wednesday. I also have a new cap & rotor coming that will be here on Wednesday. I know that doesn't address the oil pressure issue but I might actually be able to get it running properly.

I HOPE (fingers crossed) that there isn't any damage to the cylinders. Ane yes I'd run a inside mic thru each cylinder to verify. Then as long as it's all good run a hone thru them.
I did a compression test 2-3 days ago and had 185 PSI on all 8 cylinders dry. I can do a wet test to see what I get.

Old 11-20-2023, 06:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
Well the good news is that the new injectors I ordered will be here tomorrow or Wednesday. I also have a new cap & rotor coming that will be here on Wednesday. I know that doesn't address the oil pressure issue but I might actually be able to get it running properly.

I HOPE (fingers crossed) that there isn't any damage to the cylinders. Ane yes I'd run a inside mic thru each cylinder to verify. Then as long as it's all good run a hone thru them.
I did a compression test 2-3 days ago and had 185 PSI on all 8 cylinders dry. I can do a wet test to see what I get.
Run the test again, if you still have 180 and change on all 8, ring seal isn't your issue.

Wildman4x4nut (11-20-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 07:09 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

Run the test again, if you still have 180 and change on all 8, ring seal isn't your issue.
OK

It's been 180 or better every time I've done a compression test other than when I had the broken rocker arm on # 5 cylinder. So if it isn't a ring issue then?? Possibly valve stem seals when the cylinders got so hot from running lean?

Old 11-20-2023, 08:26 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 310 Likes on 292 Posts

I'm thinking your rings are decent. Not sure what compression figure you were shooting for, but 180 psi is in the stock range. Oil pressure is primarily governed by main bearing clearances, unless your oil has been thinned out again with raw fuel by a bad tune and/or faulty injector(s).

Old 11-21-2023, 10:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Generally, valve stem seals will just give you a puff at startup. Considering how few miles on your engine, I would expect that valve stem to guide clearances are still tight, and even if there weren't ANY seals, it still wouldn't smoke constantly due to that. May be that the cylinders got washed down, so the rings simply can't seal, and the problem will go away once you can actually run the engine with a good tune, that isn't flooding it out. Compression test should tell the tale. If the numbers jump significantly on the wet test.... then yeah, rings are an issue.

Wildman4x4nut (11-21-2023)
Old 11-21-2023, 11:08 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

Generally, valve stem seals will just give you a puff at startup. Considering how few miles on your engine, I would expect that valve stem to guide clearances are still tight, and even if there weren't ANY seals, it still wouldn't smoke constantly due to that. May be that the cylinders got washed down, so the rings simply can't seal, and the problem will go away once you can actually run the engine with a good tune, that isn't flooding it out. Compression test should tell the tale. If the numbers jump significantly on the wet test.... then yeah, rings are an issue.
I'll do a dry & wet compression test tomorrow. I've got a VA appointment today so won't get a chance to work on the Jeep.

Either way I guess the engine is coming back out.

Old 11-21-2023, 11:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
I'll do a dry & wet compression test tomorrow. I've got a VA appointment today so won't get a chance to work on the Jeep.

Either way I guess the engine is coming back out.
That sucks. It's been a LONG road to get here..... Guess the light at the end of the tunnel was indeed just a muzzle flash.

Sorry man.

Wildman4x4nut (11-21-2023)
Old 11-21-2023, 07:23 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

That sucks. It's been a LONG road to get here..... Guess the light at the end of the tunnel was indeed just a muzzle flash.

Sorry man.
Pulling it isn't that big of a deal. I'd rather get it done and have it done right. If it's bearings, then it's bearings. But I'd rather try to have it running correctly before I pull it, so I know it right when I put it back in. As I was driving over to my VA appointment today it gave me time to think and I want to check all my wiring again and verify that it's all correct. Not sure what else I can check beyond that.

Old 11-21-2023, 09:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Need a tune that doesn't think its a 508 too.....

Quick Reply: 5.9 Rebuild on the cheap: Now Just Empty Every Pocket build.