2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Time to repair my plenum gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 12:01 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

www.mopartsracing.com Mine came with water pumpgasket, crankshaft seal, and timing cover gasket...I have an extra pump gasket also! About $52.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:31 PM
diverjer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay I got to show my ignorance and age here, how does oil get into the plenum? Now you should know I am older than dirt and not use to these TBs. My newest car is a 2000 Olds which has injection, but all I have done to it is change fluids and got pissed off on election night and finely changed plugs at 112,000 miles (recommend change at 100,000 so not to late). BTW plugs looked new and I got car new so know they were never changed, they were all foreign plugs, NGK. PITA job, back three plugs you have to do by feel only. Anyway, the only way I see oil getting into plenum is PCV valve. If I understand, the plenum is just a pan in bottom of intake Manifold with a gasket between. I am thinking just a big air chamber. Maybe a link explaining? Just trying to figure out this Dodge I bought on Oct 2 and have been reading a lot about plenum problems on this forum. I don't have any problems, but just trying to learn. So far I have put on new starter, rotor, dist cap, wires, plugs and took of TB and cleaned it as well as removed and inspected IAC, TPS and MAP, cleaned carbon off one of them. Truck now has 167,000. I have read sticky post and study, but everything talks about changing. My CAT does rattle when cold, but plenty of power and no missing out.

Last edited by diverjer; 11-11-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:54 PM
Grolli

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...um-thread.html

The if the gaskets are blown or leaking, the oil seeps around the cover plate (bottom of the plenum) and gets sucked into the air intake (top of the plenum).

Old 11-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ Exactly, but to explain a bit more, the engine is creating vacuum, so then the gasket doesn't seal, the oil is pulled in by the vacuum from the lifter valley into the intake manifold.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:15 PM
diverjer
Professional

Thanks, so it sounds like that pan is just sitting in oil going down. I understand the amount of suction, I pulled off the vac hose and dumped some Sea Fome directly in. Did telescopic magnet and it stuck to bottom, so must be original. My telescopic mirror was just a little too big, but with just a light it looked pretty darn clean where I could see. On sides, not pan maybe a few spots of carbon. Could see what looked like that gray gasket stuff squeezed out of where pan hooked to manifold. Actually looked like that stuff they use instead of a gaskets that you are suppose to squeeze out. You could actually see the silver color of plenum.

Last edited by diverjer; 11-11-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Grolli

from the "end all" plenum thread, if there is just a little oil in there, the most probable cause is an bad PCV valve. Mine was almost completely clean, just replaced that valve this week. Not sure if it was ever done.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Vinny72
Talking My Take

I doing my plenum this week I did remove my o2 sensors and cleaned them up it did help my idle issue...will replace them after the plenum rebuild.one sure indicator of plenum issue...#8 plug fouled with oil. and extra high vacuum at oil cap...or at least mine had that you could hear it. I'll be doing the huges rebuild for $119 plus shipping pretty cheap.I intended to do it my self but ist cold weather,I live in Iowa and only have a machine shed NO garage.. Will try to remember to post after also will scan the motor before and after just to see what inproves.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:19 PM
Cali7312
Rookie

Originally Posted by Matt Nickerson
You can also gut the cat instead of removing it completely.
explain?

Old 11-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

If you have the oem cat still on there then remove the o2 sensors, muffler, and tailpipe. Take a long metal rod of some sort smash all of the material apart that's inside the cat. Start the truck and hit the gas until all the material is out. Reassemble.

For me I unclamped my recently installed high flow cat, crushed everything on the inside with a long wrench an dumped it all out, then reinstalled.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:56 PM
Cali7312
Rookie

Sounds extremely clever, what is the end result? acts the same as if you were to remove the cat and weld pipe in replacement?

Quick Reply: Time to repair my plenum gasket?