2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Time to repair my plenum gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 09:50 PM
FourStop
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to repair my plenum gasket?

Hello-

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L 4x4 95,000 miles

So, I'm on to the most recent problem with my truck: she's burning oil. I was wondering if I could get some advice on which repair I should tackle first to try to stop the leaking oil: replace the valve cover gasket or the Plenum gasket/plate.

A little background: I drive 300+ miles a week for work and add a quart of oil every 500-1000. But I"m worried the missing oil situation is getting worse. No oil dripping on the ground. I noticed there appears to be fresh oil around my valve covers today. (Pictures attached.) There is no blue smoke on either startup or while it's running

I read the sticky about a blown Plenum Gasket and I was wondering if that's what's going on with my truck. The burning oil being the main indicator. Also, when I stomp on the accelerator going up a hill, I get the sound of marbles pinging around from the engine. I replaced the PCV valve and there was oil in it. I'll look down the throttle body for oil in there tomorrow.

Is it possible that the oil showing up around the valve cover is coming from a blown Plenum Gasket?

Do you all think I should right off do the Hughes Plenum Repair Kit, or should I replace the Valve Cover gaskets because the oil leaking around the top of the engine is coming from a blown out gasket there?

This truck has more issues that I care to go in to... stalling, shaking, rusting, in the past six months I've replaced: front u-joints, wheel bearings, steering linkage, track bar, crank sensor, cam sensor, ignition coil, etc. And I had the frame replaced a year ago. Now she at least runs all the time and drives in a straight line. Hopefully I'll be able to get this problem figured out in the next week or two.

Thank you all for your advice.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:54 PM
FourStop

Whoops, here are the photos

Old 06-06-2012, 09:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Leaking valve covers more than likely account for some of your oil loss, but, I would bet real money that the plenum is blown, and that's where most of it is going. That would also give you the ping you are hearing.

As for which to repair, I would suggest doing the plenum AND the VC gaskets. It isn't going to get any easier than when the intake is out of the way. Also need to have a look at your O2 sensors, and the Cat. Burning oil really does a number on them.

Welcome to DF.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:58 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Leak at the valve covers does not appear to be 1 qt per 500 miles. Definately check the plenum for oil pooling.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:45 PM
FourStop

Thanks for the replies. I will be getting after the repairs to the Plenum / VC gaskets next weekend.

I'll definitely include new o2 sensors in the repair... I'm sure they've never been replaced anyhow. Not sure what to do about the Cat, don't have to make inspection until December, maybe I'll just run a straight pipe until then.

Thanks again.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

You can also gut the cat instead of removing it completely.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:53 PM
1999blkdakrt
Professional

Yeah get the Hughes Plenum plate with the crappy Dorman kit, do not buy this one and save money and get the superior gasket kit from your local auto parts store, hell 50 bucks or so is 50 bucks any way you cut it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261034033579...84.m1586.l2649

Old 06-07-2012, 11:14 AM
dnfd737
Veteran

while your there you might as well go for plugs cap wires and rotor t-stat and electric fans And when your done seafoam your engine out to get all that oil out of the chambers.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:28 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Elec. fans will add up to another $500. Possibly more.

The "recommended" items are: plugs, wires, cap, rotor, water pump, timing chain, front o2, gut or replace cat, coolant, oil and filter.

Although, the only needed items would be: Hughes plate or equivilent, gasket set for plenum, intake, throttle body, some RTV sealant, new bolts for the intake, coolant, oil and filter.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:46 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I did the plenum job on my truck I didn't replace the water pump, thought it was fine, 4 month's later, yea, you see where this is going, new water pump.

There $60 at AutoZone with a lifetime warranty, this is a very good/easy time to replace it...

Quick Reply: Time to repair my plenum gasket?