2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Time to repair my plenum gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 10:58 AM
diverjer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like that would be the same as cutting the CAT out and welding in straight pipe? But then what do you do about the sensors? I assume the PCM is expecting to hear from them and will screw up something about the running or fuel. Cars were so much simpler before all this emission BS and computers.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:10 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think there's a bit of difference between running a gutted cat and no cat at all, besides the sound difference.

I cut mine out a little while back, have yet to do the non foul trick....but then again, that may not be a good thing either...

Old 11-12-2012, 01:25 PM
diverjer
Professional

You know I use to be able to pull up under a tree on Saturday morning, pull engine, rebuild it and have it back in for a Saturday night. Once on an old 53 Ford I broke an axle and couldn't get the broken piece out, went and got the tractor, tipped car over on side axle fell out, no problem. Life was so much simpler, but here I am so deal with it Jer. What is the non foul trick, must be something that you are concerned about plugs, but if that is a problem of gutting or removing CAT couldn't that also foul valves? Then what about those pesky sensors, I think there is one in front and back. My CAT must be okay as no power lose, does rattle when cold, but nothing I am concerned about now, just trying to be more failure.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:39 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by diverjer
You know I use to be able to pull up under a tree on Saturday morning, pull engine, rebuild it and have it back in for a Saturday night. Once on an old 53 Ford I broke an axle and couldn't get the broken piece out, went and got the tractor, tipped car over on side axle fell out, no problem. Life was so much simpler, but here I am so deal with it Jer. What is the non foul trick, must be something that you are concerned about plugs, but if that is a problem of gutting or removing CAT couldn't that also foul valves? Then what about those pesky sensors, I think there is one in front and back. My CAT must be okay as no power lose, does rattle when cold, but nothing I am concerned about now, just trying to be more failure.
what they mean by the non foul trick is it's a $5 or so part that you use to trick the O2 sensor when you have gutted the cat. It basically is a spacer that you put on the end of your O2 sensor then screw it into the exhaust where the O2 sensor goes. This lifts the sensor out of the exhaust stream where it won't read the now nasty exhaust. Basically it thinks you still have a CAT when in fact it's gone or has been gutted.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:00 PM
diverjer
Professional

Okay thanks, I bet it is a spark plug non foul to get the space.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:03 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Correct.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:22 PM
MikeMan65

Sounds like your emissions control system is fouled. EGR & PCV would high on my list also.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:11 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

EGR should be high on everyones list... trash list!

Quick Reply: Time to repair my plenum gasket?