2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Looking for anyone who has done the slip in 2nd gear band replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 02:22 PM
rgtsmm01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Looking for anyone who has done the slip in 2nd gear band replacement

Hello all,
As stated..I am looking to find some info on the folks here who have installed the "Slip in style" ( as in can be done without removing transmission) kickdown band, front band, 2nd gear band, what ever else it may be called. PART # 22022AS at WWW.WITTRANS.com I have found it called many things.

MonteC had posted about it in his thread and it seems to be the solution for me.
here is that link https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ml#post2170849
on page 41 post 406

I noticed several hundred posts later he changed his mind and says he does not recommend it " online anymore " I imagine because so many have ran metal to metal far to long ????
here is that link
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ml#post2288712
on page 79 post 786

I have had several help me figure out how and what the band anchor was in the pan, purchased all the electricals, filters, and...even this slip in band is on order along with new filter, gaskets, etc to again pull the valve body after I run and ruin the 8 quarts of new atf+4 through enuf to clean it all up. should only be driven ....ehh.....maybe 20-30 miles while waiting for the parts. the old band of mine is toast. the scoring ever slight on the drum. with the help of a few I was able to determine how to remove the VB, install that odd shaped anchor, learn how to adjust the band, and....air check the actuators for both bands Thanks to everyone who has helped!!!!
Now I am thinking since I have cleaned up everything I can see very well, the way to flush the system and the TC and the HUGE external cooler, is to run this new atf+4 through it via the actual putting it back together. I will be replacing filters, gaskets, fluid again when the slip in band arrives.
I want to remove the check valve also, however the only DIY I found was for one with the cooler in the transmission, mine is a monster external one. Maybe that was an 01 option. darn near the same size as the radiator itself only thinner. It or the power steering cooler has a leak. I think PS cooler as it is low on fluid also.
OK...Sorry for the long post, just wanted to get all the info out there.
The The big question...... How long do these slip in types last if the drum is not too scorn? and...a new 5 clutch drum kit is only $58 at wittrans.com, a new kevlar band..$13ish ( non slip in). A shop quoted me $650 to instal a new band alone, then quoted me $2200 to rebuild it entirely. I found that a bit much!!
Am I wrong not to try out the slip in first, then order the drum and original upgrade band later??
I guess looking for some opinions from those who have used the "slip in type kickdown bands and what their experience has been with doing so as far as the amount of time they lasted, how much a pain, etc.
Thanks for any and all input!!

Ron

Last edited by rgtsmm01; 06-10-2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Trying to describe the part correct
Old 06-10-2012, 07:06 PM
rgtsmm01

BTW...this all started with a dropped kick down band anchor....
UHG!!!!

Old 06-10-2012, 08:15 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The anchor drops out if there is too much wear on band or out of adjustment. For $2200, you could buy a Viper trans and problems solved. That much for a rebuild is way too much.

I had the same issue with the anchor out of place when I picked up my Ram. To slip in the band is not easy.....I ended up dropping and rebuilding trans. I also installed the 5 friction clutch, but trans has to come apart to do this. Common price I have seen referenced her for rebuild is about $1200. They want $2200 with YOU furnishning some of the parts?

Old 06-10-2012, 11:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Yeah, I agree, 2200 is WAY to pricey, could get a mega viper for a bit more....

Old 06-11-2012, 11:21 AM
rgtsmm01

Originally Posted by gdstock
The anchor drops out if there is too much wear on band or out of adjustment. For $2200, you could buy a Viper trans and problems solved. That much for a rebuild is way too much.

I had the same issue with the anchor out of place when I picked up my Ram. To slip in the band is not easy.....I ended up dropping and rebuilding trans. I also installed the 5 friction clutch, but trans has to come apart to do this. Common price I have seen referenced her for rebuild is about $1200. They want $2200 with YOU furnishning some of the parts?

Yup!!! I got all the solenoids, Governor, filter, gasket, fluids, and was just asking them the cost to replace the front band as I do not want to pull the trans. Quoted me $650.00 to do just that. I then asked since they were going to be in there, what they would charge to do the rest. $2200. THATS NUTS !!
I have a 68 Road runner I have done it on a few times over the last 25+ years. its last rebuild including better almost everything......a bit over $500 and I paid for the better higher stall converter and installed it myself. Pretty simple on that old car. But...this does not look too much , more difficult. Even same issues with removing the exhaust as I added an X pipe the old beast.
I have the slip on band coming. I took apart the entire anchor system last night to inspect better and the wear is very minimal on the drum. There still is about a rice papers thickness of friction material left on the original band, but...it will flake off if pulled on. adjustment is darn near worthless as it bumps up against its ends. it will stop the drum, but I suspect only to the degree of what my hands can hold onto.
I am going to wait for the slip in and try it out. If I have to replace...I like the viper idea

Tell me about that 5 clutch set up. was it like the one Wttrans offers? they want under $60 for it complete. Says its a rebuilt 3 clutch model, modified to 5

Thanks,
Ron

Last edited by rgtsmm01; 06-11-2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: another question
Old 06-11-2012, 11:24 AM
rgtsmm01

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, I agree, 2200 is WAY to pricey, could get a mega viper for a bit more....
You have been correct every time so far
Thank you for the earlier help BTW!! I have never torn into an auto transmission before. lots of 5 and 6 spds...no auto's until now

Old 06-11-2012, 11:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Wittrans is trustworthy. They come recommended by MonteC, our one-time resident dodge trans expert. More clutches/steels gives more holding power. Never a bad plan in an auto.

If you have rebuilt 3 speed autos before, there is very little new in the 46R? trans. You should feel right at home.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:19 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Wittrans is trustworthy. They come recommended by MonteC, our one-time resident dodge trans expert. More clutches/steels gives more holding power. Never a bad plan in an auto.

If you have rebuilt 3 speed autos before, there is very little new in the 46R? trans. You should feel right at home.

I miss having MonteC around here. I got lots of great info from him.

Quick Reply: Looking for anyone who has done the slip in 2nd gear band replacement