2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What would the symptoms of a bad coil wire be?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012 | 11:31 PM
RageGuy
|
Professional
Default What would the symptoms of a bad coil wire be?

Coil wire fell out of the little holster clip and came to rest on the heads, Just noticed today, the wire is partially melted but the engine still runs and starts fine.

Just wondering what would happen if the wire was bad because of this and needed to be replaced?

Can a person buy just a new coil wire? or do I have to buy a whole nother set of spark plugs? I just changed my plugs and wires 3 months ago

Old 06-17-2012 | 11:51 PM
gdstock
Legend

With the insulation damaged, a spark could find its way to grouns and cause engine miss or die. Also, depending on t=other conditions,worst case is fire in the engine bay. Best to replace it. How old are your plug wires? I think you have to buy as a set as I have never seen them sold by piece, but maybe. If your other wires are good and you can't afford to buy a new set now, you might get one for nothing at a local JY. I may have one laying around in the garage, but I would have to look. I always keep the old set for emergencies that may pop up.

Old 06-18-2012 | 12:08 AM
RageGuy
|
Professional

Originally Posted by gdstock
With the insulation damaged, a spark could find its way to grouns and cause engine miss or die. Also, depending on t=other conditions,worst case is fire in the engine bay. Best to replace it. How old are your plug wires? I think you have to buy as a set as I have never seen them sold by piece, but maybe. If your other wires are good and you can't afford to buy a new set now, you might get one for nothing at a local JY. I may have one laying around in the garage, but I would have to look. I always keep the old set for emergencies that may pop up.
Could I maybe wrap it up in electrical tape?

Wires are 3 months old.

Yeah Im gonna go check out a pick-a-part next weekend and see if I can find another...I totally do not want to buy a whole set of plug wires again >_<

Old 06-18-2012 | 09:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Electrical tape will be inadequate to the task. Replace the wire.

Old 06-18-2012 | 06:34 PM
RageGuy
|
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Electrical tape will be inadequate to the task. Replace the wire.
Arrrgghhh...

Anyone have a spare coil wire for a 5.9? *Face desk*

Old 06-19-2012 | 12:28 AM
gdstock
Legend

aahhhhh..... What is face desk?

I have one in the garage. You can have if you pay shipping....PM me. It was working fine, but I changed them when I did kegger mod, plugs, wires, rotor, and cap stuff several months ago.

Old 06-19-2012 | 02:05 AM
5.9ramrod
Amateur

A little off topic but is the rotor under the dist. cap supposed to point to the number one cylinder? Or the number one cylinder (the plug wire terminal on the dist. cap)?

Old 06-19-2012 | 03:59 AM
merc225hp
Champion

Mopar part number 5602 7056 5.9L Eng ign coil wire only. Cost? no idea. Have you asked at your auto parts store if you can just get a ign coil wire? I would think they can help you out.

Old 06-19-2012 | 09:45 AM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by 5.9ramrod
A little off topic but is the rotor under the dist. cap supposed to point to the number one cylinder? Or the number one cylinder (the plug wire terminal on the dist. cap)?

To the plug wire. The cap should have a "1" on it, and the #1 plug wire connected there. The rotor is "keyed" so it will only fit one way. make sure it snaps down tight or it will wreck out on you....

Old 06-19-2012 | 10:51 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Symptoms may include:
  • Weakness, fatigue, or lack of stamina.
  • Shortness of breath during exercise.
  • Headache.
  • Trouble concentrating.
  • Irritability.
  • Dizziness.
  • Pale skin.

Quick Reply: What would the symptoms of a bad coil wire be?