2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plenum - my turn

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 11:30 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had ngk v powers and iridium ix and didn't like either of them . My truck responds great to autoligjt 3923

Old 06-19-2012, 12:24 PM
tbone360
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess it depends on your truck. My truck likes ngk.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:17 PM
mcweaver
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's my update, everything was going good I had everything scraped, cleaned and ready to put back together. Last thing I wanted to do was chase the threads with a tap (knew I shouldn't have) and you guessed it on the last hole snapped the tap down in the hole. So now in the morning I have to go chase down the snap-on man and hope the tap extractor works! If not I'm not sure what to do, not enough to grab a hold of and don't want to take the heads off...

Old 06-19-2012, 06:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Use a sharp HARD punch, and a big *** hammer, and shatter the tap. (cover the valley, so you don't get chunkys in there......)

Old 06-19-2012, 06:28 PM
mcweaver
Professional

Then after that get a new tap and re chase them as i'm assuming shattering the tap could mess up the threads? This would also only be a last ditch effort and looking to stay away from taking off the head?

Old 06-19-2012, 06:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Taps are extremely hard, but, very brittle. (sounds like a contradiction doesn't it?) They actually shatter fairly easily, and then you can just pick the pieces out of the hole, if they don't just fall out. (the end holes are open to the air anyway. won't drop anything INTO the motor.) If you can't get the right tool for the job, shattering is fairly easy. I would just run another bolt down the hole, to make sure the threads survived. I don't usually bung 'em up when busting out a tap.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:05 PM
mcweaver
Professional

so I got my hands on a Tap Extractor from the Snap On man and it worked just like it was supposed to! Now if i can just remember where all these bolts go, hopefully it will be up and running tonight just in time to do a hub asembly...

Old 06-20-2012, 08:04 PM
mcweaver
Professional

I've got everything together and am on one of the last things, putting the alternator back on. Well apparently I have misplaced one of the small nuts on the back. So yes $.05 is keeping me from getting my truck going....

Old 06-20-2012, 08:20 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the progress , when I removed my plenum I found a broken bolt from previous owner . I just left it no problems

Old 06-26-2012, 06:42 PM
mcweaver
Professional
Default update

after getting everything back together, i had a water leak, my truck wouldn't idle, truck played games shifting from 1-2, 2-3 and the wonderful people at Autozone told me I had a vacuum issue. So after taking everything back apart and looking at things again and thinking I fixed the problem, well I didn't. So frustrated I took it to our garage very discouraged and embarassed. So the no idle, I forgot to plug in the IAC, water leak was a wore out spring clamp on the upper radiator hose, the no shifting the TV cable was just too tight and caught on something. Anyhow, even though this makes me look a little more like an idiot I wanted to post this update because I'm guessing somewhere down the line someone else will have one of these problems.

Quick Reply: Plenum - my turn