2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ac not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012 | 04:18 PM
offroadjosh
|
Record Breaker

so jumpered low side and got nothing.. tested that plus and its good... tested 2 on compressor one going in to compressor has power one going to clutch... no power.. so now what?.. relay has power on one pin...

Old 06-25-2012 | 04:20 PM
offroadjosh
|
Record Breaker

thinkin i got wiring issues some where... highly tempted to cut the plug and make my own damn toggle switch if its a wiring issue...

Old 06-25-2012 | 06:27 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

id be willing to bet its more of a relay issue, than a wiring issue.

Old 06-25-2012 | 07:19 PM
john165

I dont know how different the Rams are between 94 and 96 but on my 94, if you jump the switch on the accumulator, the two plug harness for the AC compressor has battery voltage. If i plug the switch back up, no power to compressor. So one of your wires should be hot and the other ground i believe. I took my voltmeter an tested both pins, can remember which wire was hot but I did get battery voltage and the compressor kicked on. So if the 96 is like the 94 and you said """tested 2 on compressor one going in to compressor has power one going to clutch... no power..""" If you wire has power and the other doesnt that may be normal. It could be your ground wire. It should like to me it could be the compressor solenoid on the compressor is bad. Ohm test it to make sure it isnt open. If it doesnt read anything when checking ohm, it is more than likely bad. I just went to advance and looked up a 96 Rams compressor and it looks like my 94 with two wires. So if I understand you correctly, you have battery voltage to the compressor on one of those wires?

Hope this helps. I hadnt looked at my ac for about 8 years until I cam across your post. So I then when outside and did what the others told you to do, and it worked for me however i have no gauge and i dont know how long you can run the compressor with low or no refrigerant. Thanks. You posting this has helped me, and hopefully i have helped you.

Old 06-25-2012 | 07:35 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

94-96 a/c compressors are the same, and 97-01 are the same. im actually looking to buy a a/c compressor for my truck....

Old 06-25-2012 | 08:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ok, power flows FROM the PCM, to the high pressure switch first, from high pressure, it goes to the low pressure switch, low pressure switch is grounded thru the hvac control head. When the PCM sees a complete circuit there, it grounds the control circuit for the a/c relay, and THAT powers the compressor clutch. If the relay clicks when you request A/C, but the compressor doesn't engage...... Check fuse 1 in the PDC, and also fuse 3. (50 amp, and 40 amp, respectively.) Also check fuse 9 in the junction block. (although, if that one were blown, I don't think the truck would run, same with fuse 3 in the PDC.....)

Old 06-25-2012 | 09:33 PM
offroadjosh
|
Record Breaker

..think the system is bone dry. hooked up my gauge to the cummins and didnt have a can on the end... so of course it sprayed the stuff out the end up my tester.. thought hmmmm it didnt do that on my truck.. and went back to check it out.. valve open no r134a comes out.. tested all switches and they are reading 0.00 on my meter.. tried jumping the clutch and couldnt get it to go.. dont know why.

Old 06-25-2012 | 11:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Need to jump both high, and low pressure switches. But, if the system is empty, you really don't wanna do that.

Old 06-25-2012 | 11:27 PM
offroadjosh
|
Record Breaker

ugh... how do i re fill it?

Old 06-25-2012 | 11:36 PM
offroadjosh
|
Record Breaker

mmm k jumpered both sides at same time... anddd didnt work, so now im totally llost, since i just bypassed the switches right? its for sure not getting power to the clutch i tested that too

Quick Reply: Ac not working