2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 Ram No Idle Roll off Brake

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 01:55 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL.. Even though it was my first instinct to look at mounts.. for the shake off idle and not really wanting to creep... and 2 tranny shops telling my mounts were good.. I went to replace my tranny mount and shure enough it was toast.. Roll off is much metter 70% of the shake is gone and she rolls off idle smooth..

Next up is engine mounts.. I don't trust the shops anymore.. :P

Old 09-09-2012, 05:00 PM
ReadRam
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been trying to figure out the shake,shake at idle after a stop,but could never put into words. The symptoms started overnight after having rear end worked on. It's certainly an engine issue and temp related,as it calms down before the temp gauge gets to the 130 mark. But the annoying thing is it is still there, although slightly at every stop,except if i put it in neutral and come to stop, I don't feel it. Replaced IAC,MAP,TPS tried 3923 plugs. Was going to break down and take to dealership? Did timing chain and harmonic balancer was coming apart. Thought for sure that was it. Sorry to jump in here, but have been reading for months trying to find someone else with a solution to the shake,shake or chug chug or buck,buck at cold start or when starting /stopping. Somebody stop me! Worth the dealer diagnosis??

Old 09-09-2012, 05:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Replaced the O2 sensors yet?

Old 09-10-2012, 02:33 AM
ReadRam
All Star

Replaced the front 02 with a denso and new cat. At least that's what i paid for. They were going to put a Bosch in there for a lot less. The symptoms are worse after sitting overnight but usually straightens out within few minutes of warming up or if just put it in drive and take off. Checked fuel pressure cold. Tried it with just key on no start, nothing. Started truck then gauge went to 49 psi. Turned it off just tried with key on, shouldn't the gauge register without starting truck? Or did i do it wrong?

Old 09-10-2012, 07:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

When you just turn the key on, the pump should prime, and pressure should come up...... it may not make it all the way to 49, but, it should do SOMETHING at least.... If it maintains 49 PSI while driving though.... I guess that isn't the problem.

Try disconnecting the front O2, and driving it that way one morning, and see if it still does the same thing.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:14 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah I've been doing the same exact thing trying to figure out the Shake Shake when at a stop.. the best words i can describe so you can cross reference if it matches what you feel is:

At stop.. Take foot off break.. (Giving no gas) just allow the truck to roll.. Truck has a Shake shake shake to it.. almost feels like a miss... give gas it goes away.. and drives like nothing ever happen. Shake shake is not really that noticeable when breaks applied or giving gas.. only at low rpm/speed... (almost idle rpm on through 900rpm..

I did my tyranny mount that completely shot even after 2 tyranny shops saying it was fine LOL!!!

About 60-70% of the shake has dissipated. My Engine mounts even though I do not see any cracks or anything looks the same off color as the tranny mount.. (which did not feel like rubber.. more like a hard sponge cake. LOL)

I think there is deft. something that is going on.. and is being felt due to worn mounts (in my case)

I need to still do the engine mounts.. and then I can see if it goes away completely.. or not. This was my very first impression on the problem but i started looking chasing a ghost when shops told me mounts were 'fine' and did not need to be replaced.. My bad.. should of gone with my gutt.

Last edited by jondakotaguy; 09-10-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:14 AM
ReadRam
All Star

Originally Posted by HeyYou
When you just turn the key on, the pump should prime, and pressure should come up...... it may not make it all the way to 49, but, it should do SOMETHING at least.... If it maintains 49 PSI while driving though.... I guess that isn't the problem.

Try disconnecting the front O2, and driving it that way one morning, and see if it still does the same thing.
Took out the autolite 3923's, put new stock champions back in and truck ran smoothest in long time. Three of champions had in there most of the summer had electrodes that were visibly off center with the, whatcha ma call it spark gap. I am thinking it would be worth it to have dealership do real scan that can check if ignition or injector timing is off. Oh and fuel pressure gauge was from auto rental.

Quick Reply: 97 Ram No Idle Roll off Brake