2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 Ram No Idle Roll off Brake

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Ramtruck97
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 97 Ram No Idle Roll off Brake

Hello Everyone,
This is my first post here so i will try to keep it short.I have a 97 Ram 1500 4x4 5.2ltr auto 9.25 posi rear 137k.
Ive been fixing cars for nearly 20 years and this issue has me feeling the need to get input from others who may have some ideas before i dive head first into the trans and transfer case. Both of which work fine and shift well. There are no codes/lights excessively hot items(eg brake rotors/hubs, lugs).
The problem: When the service brakes are released the truck doesnt move. It sits there for 2-5 seconds, unless the accelerator is depressed of course, before it begins to creep. Slight pulsing chug is felt as the speed increases; then a smooth SLOW idle roll. If the brake is reapplied the same senario happens. It is the same whether it is in drive or reverse
Its like a dragging or slow to release brake, However if you are on slight downgrade, brake release is quick and idle roll normal. If slight incline, brake release is normal and the truck will gradually roll backwards.(Not sure if that is normal for dodge trucks)
It also seems to take a bit more throttle to get going but once there it seems normal. Starting on a slight incline takes 1800-2200rpm to get accelerating at a decend rate. After 46miles driving the truck is getting 10mpg. Epa normal is 15/19-21. Trans does not slip or shift poorly and fluid is in good shape.
At this point im leaning towards a low line pressure condition in the trans at idle or just a bad converter. i was planning on pressure testing the trans if ok then do a service and adjustment.
Whats been replaced is the brakes(all new ft and rear) U-joints rear, park brake cables, rear diff(new when i bought it), i also check the rear end myself to make sure it is correct. Ft end checked, alignment, wheel bearings checked ok. Ft diff in good shape and when on stands all wheels spin free.
Well thats it i think, if anybody has any ideas i would appreciate hearing them
Thanks

Old 07-04-2012, 08:26 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would pull rear drums and double check the brakes. What you are experiencing is NOT normal for a Dodge truck, at least not mine.

Don't know if you know yet, but there is a FSM you can download in the FAQ/DIY section here. It has a very good section on the transmission and provides the diagnostice for pressures, the values and how to check.

Welcome to DF.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:35 AM
Ramtruck97

[quote=gdstock;2818048]I would pull rear drums and double check the brakes. What you are experiencing is NOT normal for a Dodge truck

Don't know if you know yet, but there is a FSM you can download in the FAQ/DIY section here. It has a very good section on the transmission and provides the diagnostice for pressures, the values and how to check.

Thanks for the welcome, The rear brakes should be fine it would be the 4th time ive rechecked, and backed off adjustment. Thanks for the heads up on the diagnostic info.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:22 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Posi rear end? Not if it was replace with a stock 9.25 rear. Anyway,if you are fairly sure the problem is in the rear, you might want to try replacing the rear brake hose.(it could be collapsed inside). Other than that, have you checked the plenum by removing the TB? And have you removed the tranny pan and inspected the Gov. Solenoid?

Old 07-06-2012, 07:51 AM
Ramtruck97

Originally Posted by zman17
Posi rear end? Not if it was replace with a stock 9.25 rear. Anyway,if you are fairly sure the problem is in the rear, you might want to try replacing the rear brake hose.(it could be collapsed inside). Other than that, have you checked the plenum by removing the TB? And have you removed the tranny pan and inspected the Gov. Solenoid?
thanks for the reply, The truck definitely has a posi. I completely removed the carrier assy and reset everything to make sure it was right. The initial pinion preload was high, so i thought MAYBE that was the problem. Turns out it was not the issue.
I have replace the rear hose with a recomondation from sooper, but it did not fix the issue. From there i gained insight on it being a possible hose/line,MC,ABS, issue so im looking into that now.
I Have checked the plenum,it still has the steel plate, and some residual wetness. Does not seem excessive. There are no codes or running issues, but the exhaust does not smell very good, so the plenum may be leaking.
Vacuum readings at the manifold are a little low but within spec. Compression 160psi equal cold. (TB on)
The Trans service and adjustment is next for it. Currently the fluid is in good shape and shifts well.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:43 AM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

When you say new brakes, does that mean you replaced the front calipers? I would check them for hanging up, i hear the slider bolts for the calipers like to get sticky.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:44 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Not saying it it might be a prob with the front brake hoses. But when the rear shoes were replace, were they put on right? As in smaller surface shoe towards the front.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Ramtruck97

Originally Posted by zman17
Not saying it it might be a prob with the front brake hoses. But when the rear shoes were replace, were they put on right? As in smaller surface shoe towards the front.
Originally Posted by QuadCabLuv
When you say new brakes, does that mean you replaced the front calipers? I would check them for hanging up, i hear the slider bolts for the calipers like to get sticky.
Yes it has "My version" of new brakes,
Complete with calipers,rotors,wheel cylinders,Drums(Turned),shoes(Installed correctly),pads and hardware.(Caliper mounts cleaned and rear backing plates cleaned and greased) The rear hose was replaced as i said above, and as it turns out, sooper and zman17 were in the ballpark.
After doing a complete function test of everything in the brake system the Rt ft brake hose appears to be bad, and the RWAL solenoid tests good but is not fuctioning. Ive replaced both Hoses and serviced the RWAL solenoid valve(the bullet valves inside were stuck in varnished brake fluid). I will test drive tomorrow and repost.
The rt hose did not give up its secret easily. The truck had to be driven and stopped a lot to heat everything up good and warm. Even played in the gravel doing emergency stops. Then back to the house and up on stands immediately.
So we will see, hopefully that was the issue.

Last edited by Ramtruck97; 07-06-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:39 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Good luck .

Last edited by jondakotaguy; 07-06-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:39 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

I hope that works. Another thing to check, for the hell of it is the brake booster and the vac check valve/elbow. Whatever it's called. Slim odds, but you never know.

Quick Reply: 97 Ram No Idle Roll off Brake