2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what brand alternator

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 02:56 AM
SilverSS
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what brand alternator

Hey guys. I left FL this morning to go on vacation in Tennessee. Got about 20 miles from where I'm going and the alternator took a dump. I turned around real quick and hauled butt to the closest motel before she died on me. I looked online and all the parts stores are about the same distance from me so which would you recommend? Advance, Autozone, O'reilly's, Carquest, but no NAPA. Good experience with any of them ( I have the 136 btw)? I have to drive back to FL with it in a few weeks so I need to make sure it's not going to die on me! Maybe I'll lose a few lbs with a nice walk there in the morning unless one of them delivers

Old 07-09-2012, 06:56 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm cheap, so I would go to AutoZone, but that's me.. Just get something with a good or preferably a lifetime warranty...

But call each of them, see who's the cheapest with the best warranty, most of those guys will price match their competition

Old 07-09-2012, 07:25 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

on the road as you are, i'd go to either the closest one in walking distance, or get one delivered whatever the cost. the alt is pretty easy to change with a few basic tools. if you don't have those, also ask the parts store if they'll loan you a few hand tools. you may also need a battery jump.

where are you? there might be a helpful DF member around.

make sure these are covered.
serp belt tensioner
alternator bolts.
battery cable bolts. mine are 10mm

Old 07-09-2012, 08:14 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pick one that has a store where you live so if there is any problems you can get it covered with the warranty.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:56 PM
SilverSS
Captain

Thanks guys. Called advance and autozone but they didn't deliver. Oreillys only delivered to shops and businesses so I told him I was at a motel so that's a business so they delivered it. Threw it in and went to put the belt on and the pulley was 1 rib too small. Took it back out and tried to break it loose with a 4 way since I didn't have a socket big enough. That's a lost cause BTW lol. Guy at oreilleys was nice enough to bring out an electric impact so swapped pulleys and we're on the road again. He had to give me a jump of course too. I was in Manchester Tennessee. About to head over to murfreesboro now to get some food.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:59 PM
SilverSS
Captain

Oh I also got a new best of 16 mpg cruising at 70-75 with 4 adults, 1 kid, dog and about 200 lbs of crap in the back of the truck. I usually avg 13.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Did the dog go on a diet?

Good to hear you are back on the road!

Old 07-09-2012, 03:05 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's some good service from O Reilly's! Glad you're back on the road.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:21 PM
SilverSS
Captain

Thanks guys. This was the first time I'd ever gotten anything from O'Reilly's- will definately be a customer again after this. Already did actually lol. I had them load test the battery when I returned the core just because I wanted to check it after running it way down last night and it the machine just said to replace battery. I'll be heading over to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge in a few days so I went ahead and replaced it. It was still starting the truck fine though so I'm not sure why it failed the load test. It did show it was 100% charged. Battery was a 4 year old Duralast gold.

Quick Reply: what brand alternator