2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shutter-Hesitation-Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 11:32 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i was reading a thread on another site.. alot of 2010's had basically the same symptom.. but read this one thing.. which something i was considering.. and why I had tranny shop look at my tranny..

"I don't want to hear this. My personal 2010 hasn't exhibited this problem, but I have 2001 RAM 1500 work truck that did this shutter at idle thing from day one. Eventually turned out to be a defective torque convertor that I replaced at ~65,000 miles, beyond the existing 2001 warranty. I'll try to see if I can remember the error code and description that eventually manifested."

Old 09-19-2012, 01:34 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
Free Bump..

I think the most important thing we can do is isolate other issues from the one's we are having and try and weed through what is and what's not the same issue.. then we can cross reference what everyone has already done and rule them out as possibilities.

Patt.. have you ever checked your timing? see if at idle vs.. 1100 if there is anything off about or.. advancing.. retarding.. randomly? That would explain a bad timing chain.. or iming in general. My light is broke (bulb?) and i cant find anew one cus it's old..

SO i have not tested mine..
Let's just say no I haven't tested it but it needs replacement..I have the kit sitting with a bunch of other parts..I'm just waiting to get a CH and fix it all at once..I just noticed I need to replace my belt tensioner again..f'ing dayco is only like 3yrs old...

Old 09-19-2012, 01:39 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain

i was reading a thread on another site.. alot of 2010's had basically the same symptom.. but read this one thing.. which something i was considering.. and why I had tranny shop look at my tranny..

"I don't want to hear this. My personal 2010 hasn't exhibited this problem, but I have 2001 RAM 1500 work truck that did this shutter at idle thing from day one. Eventually turned out to be a defective torque convertor that I replaced at ~65,000 miles, beyond the existing 2001 warranty. I'll try to see if I can remember the error code and description that eventually manifested."
Doesn't suprise me I donno their lifespan but mine has got to at or past it by now...

Old 09-19-2012, 02:02 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

I would try one part/thing at a time if you can... other wise you wont really know what fixed it.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:56 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain

I would try one part/thing at a time if you can... other wise you wont really know what fixed it.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing but I'll have limited time to do the work when the time comes..but I will do the engine stuff and test it then move to the trans work..

Old 09-20-2012, 11:11 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

I think you should as i said in the ohter guys post finish with all the basics first.. and check/replace mounts if needed and then go from there.. do all the normal service items.. and then we can start looking into other things. Right now the only thing you can really do is replace parts as troubleshooting and that never ends well.. You drop a ton of money in and try and convince your self its "preventive maintenance anyways" and really no better off than you were when you started.

Id do the tyranny service.. adjust the bands.. if you have not replaced 02 sensor after the plen fix do it.. check/clean/replace the CAT.. mounts.. do all the basics..

Check your timing.. see what she's doing.. I'm replacing the Engine mounts this payday.. then I'm not doing a damn thing to her and just gonna drive her..

I'm not even going to worry about the plennum.. when it blows.. ill either sell her for a Ford.. or I'll replace with the M1 intake.. like a normal V8 has.. instead of this *** backwards kegger thing.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:11 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain

I think you should as i said in the ohter guys post finish with all the basics first.. and check/replace mounts if needed and then go from there.. do all the normal service items.. and then we can start looking into other things. Right now the only thing you can really do is replace parts as troubleshooting and that never ends well.. You drop a ton of money in and try and convince your self its "preventive maintenance anyways" and really no better off than you were when you started.

Id do the tyranny service.. adjust the bands.. if you have not replaced 02 sensor after the plen fix do it.. check/clean/replace the CAT.. mounts.. do all the basics..

Check your timing.. see what she's doing.. I'm replacing the Engine mounts this payday.. then I'm not doing a damn thing to her and just gonna drive her..

I'm not even going to worry about the plennum.. when it blows.. ill either sell her for a Ford.. or I'll replace with the M1 intake.. like a normal V8 has.. instead of this *** backwards kegger thing.
The IM change isn't the issue it's the plate under plenum gasket that's the problem..(most say)..Without getting into it, 200k or more miles on a gasket how do I even know that's the reason? But I'm don't even want to debate that..If I had the coin i would just start replacing everything..267k & a 98' it all needs to be replaced anyways right..

Old 09-20-2012, 02:23 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by It's Me Patt
The IM change isn't the issue it's the plate under plenum gasket that's the problem..(most say)..Without getting into it, 200k or more miles on a gasket how do I even know that's the reason? But I'm don't even want to debate that..If I had the coin i would just start replacing everything..267k & a 98' it all needs to be replaced anyways right..

Is the Hughes plate installed on the truck? Or have you just bought it ?

Old 09-20-2012, 02:25 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Yeah.. Heat/Cooling expansion differences allowing the gasket to blow out.. but actually dealer along with Nappa/Car Quest sells the correct bolts.. and it says that the stock factory bolts are two long and are not torqued properly.. What ever. doesnt matter..

I'd rather have a one piece intake instead of this two piece hollowed out kegger.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:39 AM
It's Me Patt
Captain

Jon, my buddy presented a interesting thought to ponder..why do blown 'out' plenum gaskets get blown 'out'? My pics show it..the gasket gets blown outwards..with the IM vac going on shouldn't the gasket be getting sucked inwards?
zman17, I bought it but decided to go with wall art yup it's installed..