2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shutter-Hesitation-Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 10:47 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That's kinda weird.. the fuel pump is going to maintain a certain pressure.. I would assume that if it was the fuel pump causing this idle issue; it would be even worse under throttle and increase in demand for fuel..

Old 08-28-2012, 11:39 AM
It's Me Patt
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
That's kinda weird.. the fuel pump is going to maintain a certain pressure.. I would assume that if it was the fuel pump causing this idle issue; it would be even worse under throttle and increase in demand for fuel..
+1..even more so knowing my pump/filter is an assembly..if anything I think it would be a fuel pressure regulator problem..probably just me tho

Old 08-28-2012, 02:14 PM
pipeliner798
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same symptoms as my chevy it would reak of gas when running i swore it was flooding out but after a new pump and sending until it runs like a champ a good pump will maintian pressure but if it is shot it will cause these problems

Old 08-29-2012, 09:23 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Yeah I agree pipe i could.. but also when you put your foot off into it it would be puttering the whole way.. I don't have nothing like that honestly.. My truck will still throw you in the seat.. so it's getting plenty of fuel.. and most likely in our case is not our problem.

I think I've pretty much narrowed it down to either some sort of EMI to the lines; causing a weird timing issue... or some problem with the valves, rocker arms or timing chain something along these lines.. that is messing with the timing.. my throb is in sync with my exhaust. It's something with the engine. Maybe the exhaust side on number 7... I'm really not sure.

I'm going to try and seafoam really well.. Last time i engine tuned the cyl.. at the direction of my brother but never sea foamed.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:49 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain

This thread, isn't dead, just dormant Has gone way off the topic, so sorry about that..I will keep it to the shudder problems as much as possible...good luck with yours and I'll post updates asap

Old 09-18-2012, 12:25 PM
yellowtruck
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same shutter problem. Did you ever replace the crankshaft position sensor. Thats my plan next. My problem is it shutters from 45mph on no matter how fast i go.

Matt

Old 09-18-2012, 02:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowtruck
I have the same shutter problem. Did you ever replace the crankshaft position sensor. Thats my plan next. My problem is it shutters from 45mph on no matter how fast i go.

Matt
If it starts as soon as you hit O/D.... then what you are feeling is a miss. Have you fixed your plenum? When was the last time the truck had a tuneup?

Old 09-18-2012, 06:20 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

I think we should consolidate all these threads into an all in one thread.. for these 2 issues.. Off Idle shudder and TCC Lockup Shudder.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:13 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain

Originally Posted by yellowtruck

Matt
Yeah a mis will exaggerate the shudder symptoms..have you been having a no start..I haven't replaced the ckps but one of my buddys did and it didn't help..you have a way different issue..what other symptoms do you have?

Old 09-19-2012, 10:02 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Free Bump..

I think the most important thing we can do is isolate other issues from the one's we are having and try and weed through what is and what's not the same issue.. then we can cross reference what everyone has already done and rule them out as possibilities.

Patt.. have you ever checked your timing? see if at idle vs.. 1100 if there is anything off about or.. advancing.. retarding.. randomly? That would explain a bad timing chain.. or iming in general. My light is broke (bulb?) and i cant find anew one cus it's old..

SO i have not tested mine..